PDA

View Full Version : A1 Wheel Bearings

Campbell
10-13-2003, 07:55 AM
I had kind of bad weekend at the track, broke a half shaft and the replacement had a 100mm outside cv instead of the 90mm I needed. I just loosend the axle nut so it would turn and pushed it on to the dolly and when I got home into the garage.

By not having a tight axle nut and rolling it would that wreck the wheel bearing? is there any way to check it? thanks

theenico
10-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Personally, even if I thought it was still good I would replace it. It's a lot cheaper to replace the bearing than it is to fix the car if the bearing fails during a race.

------------------
Nico
KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
[email protected]

racer_tim
10-13-2003, 12:39 PM
So, you only "rolled" the car on the "open" bearing for lest than 100 feet?

Shouldn't be a problem, but what I do to rememdy this situation, I also carry just a spare outside shaft, and use it for just this reason.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Bill Miller
10-13-2003, 06:48 PM
As long as it had a spline in it, it should be fine. The problem comes when you roll them around on a bearing w/ no spline through it. Doesn't take long (<20') to ruin a bearing. And as Nico said, they're cheap to replace. Plus, the hubs are a consumable item, and should be replaced on a regular basis.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

VW16VRacer
11-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Replace the front hubs and bearings at LEAST once a season. Cheap insurance against a DNF and major body damage.