PDA

View Full Version : Header

itb28
10-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Wheres the best place to get a header for my A2 RD engine at the best price?

------------------
Doug
A2 GTI

evanwebb
10-17-2003, 11:59 AM
You can try Techtonics, but they aren't cheap. www.tttuning.com (http://www.tttuning.com)

I have the same question for an A1 VW? Anyone? The Techtonics one is $375 in their catalog, can I get a decent one for cheaper?

Joe Craven
10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I bought and installed a VW header made my PaceSetter. I was impressed with the quality, and liked the ball and socket joint at the collector that allows for engine movement. I'm not sure how it compares HP wise.

Edit: It was delivered new to my house for less than $150

#37 ITB

[This message has been edited by Joe Craven (edited October 17, 2003).]

Bill Miller
10-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Techtonics headers are good, and you get what you pay for. Walt Puckett also builds a really nice header.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

lb2
10-17-2003, 06:07 PM
I sell the one made by Walt Pucket and from my experience it is one of the best on the market.
I can get you if you want, call me during business hours at 1-888-346-7266

Louis Boustani
LTB Motorsports

itb28
10-23-2003, 07:10 AM
Does Walt Puckett have a web site? How much do they cost?

------------------
Doug
A2 GTI

Greg Gauper
10-23-2003, 08:43 AM
I think OPM is a distributor of them for VW's & Honda's.

I like my Puckett header, much more power than my old DC sports unit, but I wish it came with a slightly longer extension after the collector and a standard two-bolt flange.

I had these TIG welded on after I received mine to make the installation easier.

Check if this is an option when you order yours. I would also get it jet coated for longer life.

metalworker
10-23-2003, 10:52 AM
LTB and OPM are both distributors of our stuff. Louis I think even has one in stock, if its not already on his car. Or if you have any questions, you are welcome to call me direct. I think our golf header has been one of our most successful pieces. As far as making the collector longer, it doesn't work the same way for golf because the header is still angled downward where the pipes come together. As a result the tail pipe needs a little bend in it.

Greg,
I'm glad you like my header. Please be careful about how securely you mount it to the chassis. We like to see a slip-on setup, to keep the header from being flexed as the engine rocks back and forth. If you are using the header as a stay-rod, it won't last very long.
Again, thanks for the kind words.

Walt Puckett
[email protected]
(704) 434-8046

racer_tim
10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Walt, I can attest to having the header working as a stay rod. I solved it by running about 12" of flexible exhaust tubing, to a 18" cherry bomb muffler, with a 45 degree down spout exiting right before the rear axle.

This allows everything to "flex" and I don't have a problem with breaking the collector like I did on my first A1 Scirocco. P.S. This is on an A1 GTI runing in Limited Prep G Production.

Greg Gauper
10-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Walt,

Wow, thanks for chiming in!

What I wound up with is a standard 2-bolt flange with a 'donut' style gasket. (I bought the pipe, flange, and gasket and my local muffler shop flared the end of the pipe for free)

I slipped 1" long compression springs over the bolts and used double nuts to secure the bolts so that my clamping force comes from the springs and not the bolts, and the assembly can flex and pivot about the flange. This dumps out to a short straight pipe with glass pack and short turn down. I have the glass pack (the heaviest part of my exhaust system) suspended from a bracket that uses the stock rubber hangers, so it can move around as well. I used this set up with your header this year, and with my older DC sports header for the last 5 years with no problems.

This set up also allowed me to easily switch between the two headers in order to perform back-to-back tests since I sized my extension so that it was the same length as the other header. The flanges were the same size as well.

My only complaint about the slip fit was it was too close to my oil pan, so I had no way to secure my exhaust pipe to the header....with visions of my exhaust pipe slipping out and dropping forward resulting in a subsequent meatball flag! Just call me paranoid http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif