PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof removal?

spike
08-31-2003, 09:35 PM
I am in stalling a cage in my golf is it really worth the work removing the sunroof.
IF yes any tips?

67ITB
09-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Spike,
"is it really worth the work removing the sunroof"
It adds WEIGHT and its UP HIGH. it should go.
and its much easier before the cage is in...
(learn from my mistake)
I had done it in a Scirocco for the additional head room, but I don’t think head room is an issue in a golf unless your over 76-78 inches tall.
This is how I did it.
1. remove everything that was bolted in.
2. used "cut off wheel" to remove everything else
3. folded lip of original sun roof out and welded the panel back in the existing hole. it fits perfect and is just as strong as a non-sun roof.....roof.
then used auto body seam sealer to prevent leaks.
I have seen some people use aluminum panels with 1" straps..... but I don’t know how comforting it would be to be sliding down the track on the roof with just that above my head
Hope this helps
Matt

itbracer6
10-10-2003, 09:09 AM
I removed a sunroof on an 83 gti and replaced with a chunk of lexan. I rivited it into place with 2 straps. It worked well, even after I rolled the car 5 times. It was the only piece of glass to stay in!

Bill

Knestis
10-10-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't have my GCR at work but my little brain doesn't remember plastic as being an approved material to replace the sunroof...
K

machschnell
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
The weight up high does make a difference. As far as removal goes, I was ready to cut the roof skin from a non-sunroof Rabbit and tack it over the hole, but a good mechanic I know suggested using the removable sunroof panel itself, and some round bar stock to fill the gaps where the sunroof seal would normally be.

It took some time bending the stock around the sunroof panel, and grinding it to fit snug, but then the roof it will fit flush, and some bondo will fill in the gaps.

When welding, take your time, as the roof can warp with heat.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

GigaBill48
10-13-2003, 03:23 PM
While welding the roof panel, use a garden hose to run water along the part you don't want to warp. (a Navy trick good for either welding or cutting panels you want to keep as straight as possible) Don't run it ON the seam... just several inches to the side. It will keep the relatively light gauge metal from warping. Use your Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack to raise the car from the side you are working...keeps the water out of your shoes and the interior.

Cheers

Bill DeLong
"The Ancient Production Racer"
[email protected]