PDA

View Full Version : Engine hurt in a bad way

mtgmanracing
10-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I bought my 91 GTI 8V last winter with hopes and dreams of creating an ITB car. I gutted it and let it sit all winter and 99.9% of the summer.

The last few days I have been prepping it for paint. When i start the car sometimes I get pretty thick smoke.

I just drove it to my friends who will be doing the painting and it would heavily smoke intermitantly, but mostly after stopping. The smoke smells pretty much like oil, but i dont see any drop in level on the dipstick. The car didnt do this when I bought it.

I am pretty stuck, but I have a feeling this will involve a complete rebuild...

Any ideas before I buy all the parts, I was thinking BSI's rebuild kit which has rings and seals and whatnot.

Thanks

Bill Miller
10-07-2003, 07:27 PM
I suspect that what happened is that since you let it sit, the rings may have colapsed, or at least be stuck. I'm not sure what shape the motor was in when you got the car, or how many miles were on it, but you may want to look into an overbore if you're going to build a new motor. Or, you may just want to buy a used, stock motor, and drop that in. You can probably get one w/ low miles for under $400.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

mtgmanracing
10-07-2003, 07:37 PM
I can buy that...I cant imagine them being siezed though, because the engine obviously runs...

I didnt think of looking into just a replacement engine, that would probably end up being cheaper...

The engine had 133k on it, well still does...

theenico
10-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Just for grins try pulling all the plugs out, then pour a few ounces of marvel mystery down the holes. Put a ratchet on the crank pulley and turn the engine over by hand several times. What have you got to lose.

------------------
Nico
KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
[email protected]

Bill Miller
10-08-2003, 04:59 AM
I was going to suggest the MMO trick, and like Nico said, it can't hurt. If it's a 133K mile motor, it was probably due for a freshening anyway. I know there are plenty of stories of folks running 100k+ mile motors in race cars w/o a problem, but I don't know if I'd want to chance something like that.

The problem w/ rebuilding a motor like that, is that there's a good chace when you open it up and check it out, it will probably need at least a .5mm (.020") overbore. You can buy a low-mile used motor for probably less than the cost of the machine work on your current motor. Then, if you want, spend the extra money and put new rings/bearings/etc. into that motor. Plus, you'll have an extra head, etc. from your current motor.

I would strongly suggest that at the least you put a new timing belt and water pump on any used motor that you buy. Check out www.vwvortex.com (http://www.vwvortex.com) for some good classifieds for used stuff.

------------------
SCCA 279608

mtgmanracing
10-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Thank you all very much, I really didnt want to race with the old beast motor, just attend the schools and whatnot to decide if i had it in me before i had to sell all my plasma to get a good engine.

I will check around to see what I can find, it seems like most that are for sale are stroked 2.0ls and i dont think those are legal...

ryotko
10-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mtgmanracing:
...it seems like most that are for sale are stroked 2.0ls and i dont think those are legal...[/B]

Actually all the folks swapping the 2L motors in, will have 1.8's that they need to get rid of. As said above check the vwvortex A2 classifieds and the Hybrid/Swap forums. You'll find something.

Good luck,
-Bob

Bill Miller
10-09-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't know where you're located, but I have a freshly rebult, stock, 10:1 1.8 motor. I'm in NJ and you can contact me at millerwj_at_yahoo.com

------------------
SCCA 279608