PDA

View Full Version : LF: 2.0l 8V xflow Cams and solid lifters...

rmicroys
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
I know it's not allowed in IT, but I race in Ontario where pretty much anything goes. I'm looking for a conversion to solid lifters for a ABA 2.0l 8V motor and a solid lifter camshaft. I run Mikunki PPH44 carbs with manifold, so it can breath with the big cams. Right now I'm running with a Kent 285 cam, and it's not really breathing that well up high. I'd like a little more JAM. Can anybody refer me to any websites/shops? I know that Bertils can probably do it for me... but I want to look around. Google has been of little or no help. I've only found a place in the UK with a lifter conversion.

JohnRW
10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Have you talked to Techtonics ? They used to list all sorts of conversion parts.

https://www.techtonicstuning.com/indexs.html

Are you running the 'Canadian Cup Challenge' series at Mosport/Shannonville/Mt. Tremblant ? Wild stuff running in that series. I really liked the 400hp tube-framed Corrado....sick....

racer_tim
10-02-2003, 12:01 PM
You should be able to bolt up a standard 1.8 GTI head with 40x33 valves on the 2 liter bottom end.

Keep in mind, that with that setup, you might need to build up some sort of air box since the carbs will be pointed towards the firewall.

Also, talk with Jose Rotgers @

http://joserotger.hypermart.net/
------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited October 02, 2003).]

rmicroys
10-02-2003, 03:20 PM
The "Canada GT Challenge Cup" died a graceful death last year. One of Canada's best and longest lived Pro (or National) racing series.

The current series is now the Ontario Touring GT Championship run at Mosport and Shannonville. Gunter Schmidt is still there with his funky tube frame Beetle occasionally, and is renting out an older Mk3 VR6 Jetta to another racer right now. Peter Carpenko who has that Corrado right now hasn't been out yet this year.

I run my '86 Jetta Coupe in the Touring class - woefully out classed by a couple World Challenge type cars (a couple of Integra Type-Rs using Speed WC motors) and a number of other very well prepared rides.

The series has three classes Super GT, GT and Touring. Spec Toyo RA-1 tires in GT and T. The fast boys are still out, mainly Porsches and Corvettes and such in the SGT class. The GT class is mainly turbo powered vehicles and the big detriot iron on Toyos. So unfortunately, I'm a midpack/bottom feeder. Need more JAM!

Looking at the various cams, etc. that are out there. It looks like a mechanical lifter 1.8l cam will fit in the 2.0l head. Just need to convert the lifter buckets, and I'm off. I would think that the 2.0l head should breath better. Only a flow bench will tell I guess. Anybody know?

Thanks for the tips and links! Keep 'em coming!

racer_tim
10-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Looking at the various cams, etc. that are out there. It looks like a mechanical lifter 1.8l cam will fit in the 2.0l head. Just need to convert the lifter buckets, and I'm off. I would think that the 2.0l head should breath better. Only a flow bench will tell I guess. Anybody know?

Thanks for the tips and links! Keep 'em coming!

Not only are the lifter buckets different, so are the length of the valves. The hydro setup has a shorter valve and a taller bucket vs. the solid setup. I don't think that you could just change the buckets and have it work. Remember too, that the solid head has 5 cam bearings and the hydro only has 4.

I would suggest just getting a fully ported 1.8 head and see if you like that.

The advantage of the cross flow head, is that your not heating the intake side of things with the exhaust ports right next to them.

Just my $0.02 worth

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

rmicroys
10-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by racer_tim:
[b] Not only are the lifter buckets different, so are the length of the valves. The hydro setup has a shorter valve and a taller bucket vs. the solid setup. I don't think that you could just change the buckets and have it work. Remember too, that the solid head has 5 cam bearings and the hydro only has 4.

I would suggest just getting a fully ported 1.8 head and see if you like that.

The advantage of the cross flow head, is that your not heating the intake side of things with the exhaust ports right next to them.

I do like the intake track of the 2.0 xflow much better than the manifold for the reverse flow head (well, at least the one I have). The reverse flow manifold is much more 'twisty' or sharp, the casting for the mounting bolts make big bumps in the runners, etc. Not the most ideal intake.

I know that the lifter conversion will require new lifters, shim, valves, guides, seals and a cam. I'm just trying to find the best way to squeeze some more jam in the motor. I feel I'm not making the best use of the Mikunis on the car.

I have a 1.8l mech head in the basement I could always put a bigger cam in, and get professionally ported.

Hard decisions they are...

JohnRW
10-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by rmicroys:
The "Canada GT Challenge Cup" died a graceful death last year. One of Canada's best and longest lived Pro (or National) racing series.

That's too bad. The hardware was wilder than anything you'll see in the States, and it was competitive as hell to watch. It seemed to have the perfect rulebook...about 1 page long - "if you go faster than a certain lap time, we'll just kick you up a class !". Everything from old circle-trackers to Trans-Am cars to Porsche GT1's & GTP cars. It was fun sharing the Mosport Labor Day / SCCA Nat'l weekend with them every year.

rmicroys
10-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
That's too bad. The hardware was wilder than anything you'll see in the States, and it was competitive as hell to watch. It seemed to have the perfect rulebook...about 1 page long - "if you go faster than a certain lap time, we'll just kick you up a class !". Everything from old circle-trackers to Trans-Am cars to Porsche GT1's & GTP cars. It was fun sharing the Mosport Labor Day / SCCA Nat'l weekend with them every year.

It was a fun series. Certainly a very wide variety of hardware out there. But that was utlimately the problem. An unsustainable series. Klaus Bytzek funded the series personally to have his playground for his Porsche GT-1s. There were a number of neat cars, the Porsche GT-1, 3 Ultimas, a Stealth (from the UK) were the most exotic. A bunch of Trans-Am cars, and stock cars. Then the whole bunch of production based cars done to the 9's. But eventually the money ran out, in the last year, the prize fund went seriously small, and the fields were similarly reduced. This brought about the birth of the Ontario Touring GT Challenge - a great new series. We've had 45 cars turn out for the last three events of '03. It was very fun - AND best of all, it has a place for slower GT and IT style cars. The Canada GT Challenge Cup ultimately was only for people who could muster up laps of Mosport in the low 1m20s to 1m28s. If you couldn't do that, you'd be left behind quick. Very little room for Touring cars.

The new series is quite similar, three classes, only restrictions are vehicle weights, so it's a who has the most $$$ series right now. And the guys that can afford World Challenge motors are going to clean up in the Touring class - but hey, it's a race in which us little guys can play too. Next year, we'll probably be able to race at all the Pro events at Mosport (Trans-Am, CASCAR and hopefully ALMS next year!) Also, now that Ontario Region has gone to transponders for ALL regional classes, things are much better.