PDA

View Full Version : need cis-e help

itb94itc55
09-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok, heres what happened.In pratice at the last race the fuel pump quit.We replaced the pump and fuel filter with new German parts.
But,we could not get the car to start unless we held the throttle open and cranked and cranked the engine.This car has always started and ran with very little cranking.We also had to move the throttle stop(set idle higher) to keep it from stalling. the car ran fine during the race.
This occurs with a cold or hot engine.
Once the car is started it seems to be running fine lap times were the same as before.
Give me some ideas of what to look for.
Thanks Guys

racer_tim
09-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I would say that you have some air in the injector lines.

I'd undo all of the injectors and the cold start valve from the lines, and see if you get gas that's under pressure when you break the connection. This is just like if you ran the car dry. FI doesn't like that.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

itb94itc55
09-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey thanks Tim.
I"ve just returned from working on the car.I called the local parts supplier and asked if the had a VW tech that wouldn't mind a few questions and they hooked me up.
What I found out is that he always replaces the transfer pump along with the main pump and filter and most importantly check and set the air fuel mixture.The old pump was probably dropping off slowly and the new pump has more pressure.We replaced the transfer pump and then turned the co2 screw 11/2 turns richer to start and the car fired right up.From there we dialed in the co2 and were ready to go.The car starts and runs just like it did before the failure.
Thanks again

airpiraterob
09-08-2003, 02:43 PM
not sure on the design of the fuel pump setup however....only 1 or have 2 pumps? my quarrels involved a daily-driver (cis bosch-kjet volvo) and the pre-pump, failing and taking the main pump with it from starvation/overheat/cavitation. if youve got 2 pumps, are they both working?
(finally that car died and was able to get something else.)

racer_tim
09-08-2003, 05:07 PM
With a fuel cell, you need 2 pumps, and a surge tank.

I installed a facet electric pump between the cell and the surge tank, and have 4 connections on the surge tank, 3 ontop, and 1 at the bottom.

1 on top comes from the fuel pump from the cell pickup, next one on the top is the return from the FI, and the 3rd is the return to the cell. 1 on the bottom feeds the stock fuel pump.

Surge tank is about 1 qt, and haven't had any fuel starvation this year at all. Now if I could only stop getting run into by SS cars using me for brakes, that would be nice.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html