PDA

View Full Version : A1 Rabbit suspension Setup

blugtivr
08-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Hello all, I am in the process of rebuilding my dads ITC Rabbit. The car has been in storage for 9 years and need quite a lot of work. So far I have the car running and driving and just finished all the brakes on the car. My next venture is to put suspension on the car. The car has existing Koni Yellow shocks( the right front is blown) and suspensin techniques springs and front sway bar. ( It also has a HUGE rear bar, not sure the manufacturer or size)

Anyway, I would like to continue to run the Koni Shocks and run some sort of coil-over suspension. I am going to be sending the rear shocks off to be rebuilt and re-valved depending on what spring rate I choose to run. I would also like to run double adjustable shocks in the front. I know BSI makes a shortened strut housing, and I believe so does Ground control.

What sort of suspension setups are you guys running and with what spring rates / sway bars etc. etc.etc.?

I plan on using the car mostly for Autocross and for solo 1

Thanks in advance

------------------
Brad

Blix
08-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Brad,
the spring rates and shock valving (and anti-roll bars) that you want for autocross will be fairly different than you want for a solo1/road race car. The transitions in soloII tend to be quite a bit faster than in SoloI/RR. You might have to make some compromises. When I am looking for VW information I call Shine Racing in Walpole MA. I drive one on the street (91 GTI 16v) and have autocrossed it and done soloI with it, and they have been an invaluable source for me. They also have great customer service and are stand up guys.

Eric
NER SM #02

blugtivr
08-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the response. I am planning on calling shine racing to get some insight from them. From my experience having a car that is set up well for a autox, works well on track, you would of course most likely change the sway bar settings from one to the other but the spring rates should be close to what you want. In my 97 VR6 I have it set up for autocross and I run about 5 lapping days a year and the car seems to handle reallly well. thanks again