PDA

View Full Version : Setup difficulties with an A2 Golf

MiniStocker
07-27-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi guys, I have a problem that is making life very difficult at the track. The problem is the rear suspension. I have a severe "Bounce" when I dive hard into corners. When I qualify and have the track to myself, I am consistently in the top 5 out of 22 cars. In the race, I get "pinched" and don't get to use the whole track so when I try to turn tighter, the rear seems to bounce about 3-5 times in the corner. Here's my rear suspension: Coil over springs with adjustable sleeves (400lb springs). A neuspeed rear swaybar (28mm set on the middle setting) and Koni adjustable yellow shocks. I carry about 39-40% of my weight on the rear, total weight 2125. I am on Goodyear racing slicks. The front seems to stick quite well. I've been told by some VW racers over the net that 175 and 200lb springs are a better choice for oval track, but I based my setup on the book "Volkswagen Sport Tuning for Street and Competition" by Per Schroeder. I understand that this setup was more aimed at people who turn right also, but I'm the only FWD at my track and I had no one to really ask.

Are the koni's a poor choice?
Are the springs too stiff?
Is the bar too stiff?
Can the rear be set too low?

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks a ton in advance,

Scott Uttech

Bill Miller
07-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Scott,

Sounds like the rear shocks might be blown, or the rebound valving is too low.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608

Bildon
07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
For what this info is worth....

I knew a guy who was the track champion on a short paved oval in Georgia. He used to pump heavy grease into the rear shocks through a zerk fitting to basically make the rear solid.

His driving style was to turn/brake the Rabbit into the corner and then lift...wait for the rear to rotate and then punch it again pulling the car though the rest of the corner under full power.

So what does that tell you about the rear spring rate? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Good luck.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment
## 2002 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

Eric Parham
07-29-2003, 12:13 PM
I agree with Bill. The rear shocks are too soft. I use 425 lb rear springs on an A1, and learned the hard way that there isn't an off-the-shelf shock available that will really handle them without revalving.