PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiter

Tim
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
My 1980 ITC Rabbit had a rotor that was a rev limiter, not sure what the cut out point was, anyway, I took it out and found it is no longer available so i have to go with a standard rotor. My question is this, I like the idea of having the rev limiter but only have the stock tach in the car, is there another way to set up a rev limiter without buying an expensive tach?

dave parker
07-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Tim
These centrifugal(spelling?)rotors were made by Bosch and installed on the late 60's and early 70's VW's and Porsche's. If you look very closely at the rotor the cut out point is stamped into the plastic body by the part number. 4500,5000, and 5600 were the most popular units. They were a great way to keep your stupid buddies and girlfriends from overreving the motor in you car. The only problem was that they tended to run in the 40 to 50 dollar range retail. Also will only work on "small shaft" distributors. If you need the Bosch part numbers let me know, I'll warm up the microfiche reader and "go fishing".
Play Safe
dave parker
wdcr itb#97

Tim
07-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Dave
Thanks for the info, thats funny, the guy at the parts store told me they used to call them girly rotors for people who could'nt drive a stick. ( no offense to the ladies). from what I am told they are no longer available, we took the number off the rotor I had. I guess I will need to be careful and possibly will add a large tach and shift light.
What would you guess the redline would be for a 1.6, .40 over?

Bill Miller
07-19-2003, 08:00 AM
Tim,

A balanced and blueprinted 1.6 bottom end should be good to 7500 - 8000. The problem lies in the prep level of the head allowed by the rules. With the stock VW cam (or even the G-grind in ITC), and the stock valve springs, you're just not going to make any power up there. I used to have the shift light in my ITB A1 GTI set at 6300, but could pull it to 6500 - 6700 if I wanted to, although, no real power up there, just was faster to hold it for a bit than upshift.

If you're really worried about having a rev limiter in the car, put a MSD 6AL in and install the chip that you want. Disclaimer: the stock, Bosch electronic ignition is hard to improve on. Watch your tach, or put a shift light in. BTW, I believe you can just install the shift light w/o needing an extra tach.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608