PDA

View Full Version : Solid motor & tranny mounts?

AchtungRacing
06-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Anyone have thoughts (pros & cons) on using solid mounts (engine & tranny) vs harder than stock rubber or urethane? This is for a E Production car. Where would you source solid mounts for an A1 VW? Also would like to find solid steering rack mounts. Tim, you recall where you got yours?

Thanks,

Alex

------------------
Alex Blumauer (co-driver) &
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

[This message has been edited by AchtungRacing (edited June 24, 2003).]

racer_tim
06-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Alex, all of my motor / tranny mounts are poly, and I think that they are all Neuspeed.

I don't remember where or when I got the alum steering box units. Might have been from eBay.

Racing career on hold for a while since I got laid off yesterday.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 LP GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Bill Miller
06-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Alex,

Not sure where you would source the solid mounts from. I remember seeing solid rack mounts many years ago. IIRC, Pulsar Racing had them, but I think they're long gone.

Tim,

Sorry to hear about the job buddy! This seems to be all too familiar these days.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608

gsbaker
06-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Just a thought, but one downside could be torsional harmonics.

In addition to isolating the vibrations from the driver, non-solid mounts isolate the vibes from the structure.

Unlikely this would happen, but if it did you would feel a shudder at certain rpms.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

racer_tim
06-24-2003, 07:49 PM
No more than the locked front diff.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)

AchtungRacing
06-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Tim, sorry to hear about the job situation. Man your having a bad few weeks. Good luck in the job hunt.

Alex

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

joeg
06-25-2003, 08:24 AM
There are lots of downsides on real solid-motor mounts. However, if you do not have a glass windshield and like chasing stress cracks, it is a small performance enhancer.

There are many upsides to solid mounting the rack & pinion, however. A machine shop could do some mounts up in billet if you cold bring in the rack and the bushings it currently mounts in.

May be a bit pricey.

Ryan Williams
06-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Have been using Delrin motor mount bushings for two years without any problems. Check with Walt Puckett (Delta Motorsports) at [email protected] as he may still have some Delrin bushings for a prod car.

You will need to use mechanical gauges as the electrical units will not take the vibration being transmitted into the driver's area. Regards, Ryan.

GTI Cup
06-27-2003, 02:43 PM
I have a set of these solid steering rack mounts and have been putting off installing them, as I haven't checked the GCR if they're IT-legal. Can't remember the name of the place I got them from...it was a CA-based shop that has since closed down.

If they aren't IT-legal, I'll be selling mine. Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

------------------
Glenn
MARRS ITB #07 (http://www.geocities.com/gt1vr6/veedubs.html)

joeg
06-27-2003, 04:28 PM
I do not think they are IT legal.

Proceed to make a deal.

Cheers.

AchtungRacing
06-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by GTI Cup:
I have a set of these solid steering rack mounts and have been putting off installing them, as I haven't checked the GCR if they're IT-legal. Can't remember the name of the place I got them from...it was a CA-based shop that has since closed down.

If they aren't IT-legal, I'll be selling mine. Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

Hi, Glenn

How much would you want for the solid rack bushing? I assume they are made out of aluminum? email me at [email protected]

Alex

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

[This message has been edited by AchtungRacing (edited June 28, 2003).]

AchtungRacing
06-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Anyone have Glenn's (GTI Cup) email address? For some reason the email addresses don't show up in the profiles. I have mine selected to show and it doesn't.

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

Eric Parham
07-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Someone (Neuspeed?) used to sell a solid aluminum mount for ONE side of the rack, but even that was too much and caused cracking of the racks. The A1 cars just flex too much. Also, the rear trans mount needs to at least be hinged, as some have discovered the "hard" way http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif