PDA

View Full Version : VW acceleration relative to competition

Joe Craven
07-01-2003, 01:17 PM
How fast should I expect my VW to be in the straights? I also race a 71 Ford Capri and this VW seems about as fast on the straights but that is using my butt-o-meter which probably isn't accurate.

At the last Thunderhill race, here was my impressions running with the following:

Alfa GT - this car was quite a bit faster on the straights

BMW 2002 - I was able to stay with them coming off the corners up to about 60mph. I'm not sure after that due to traffic.

2nd gen Toyota Celica - my VW seemed to have a bit more acceleration.

Should I expect to keep up with the BMWs in the straights or do they normally pull away?

Thanks
#37 ITB VW GTI

racer_tim
07-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Joe, I don't think that a 1.8 liter VW motor with stock FI produces as much power as a 2 liter BMW 2002 with a Weber 32/36 carb.

The VW has better brakes, and should be more reliable, but the BMW should out corner a VW GTI, as well as out hourse power a GTI.

Look @ the weights. BMW 2002 in ITB is 2,280 and the A1 GTI is 2,180.

Also, look at the valves, the BMW has either 44 or 46 mm intake and 38mm exhaust, compared to our 40x33

Just pray for rain.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

OTLimit
07-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Our advantage has never been in top speed or acceleration. You have to get them in the corners/handling. If you can combine late braking and good cornering, you have a chance.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

Joe Craven
07-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Interesting thing is that I was told similar things when I decided to race a early Ford Capri. They are slower in the straights and don't handle as well. I finally realized how poorly my Capri handled and braked once I bought my VW GTI. I worked hard on the Capri's handling and brakes and it has finally proven to be a competitive car. I outbrake the 2002s and while I'm slower in the slow corners, I've been able to gain ground in the high speed stuff (I don't brake and gas pedal stays on the floor!).

With the VW, I find that I can keep the gas on longer than the Capri and carry more speed through the fast corners although I actually might not be going as fast as I think due to less horsepower. The VW brakes are excellent and the handling characteristics make the car very easy to drive fast. However, I was unable to keep up with one of the front running 2002s in our region at Thunderhill which is a high horsepower track but I noticed that they pulled away the most in the long sweepers. The understeer I am experiencing requires that I occasionally lift off the gas to get the car to turn in. When I do that, the 2002s pull a 1/2 car lead each time. I'm going to try left foot braking which might help now that my rear brakes are rebuilt.

With the Capri, it oversteers so I'm able to keep the gas pedal floored and counter steer through the turn. It's a lot of work but makes the car ultimately faster. Anybody get their GTI to handle similarily?

Thanks for your help #37 ITB VW