PDA

View Full Version : Rust, is this car work keeping for IT buildup??

D_Bat
06-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Hey hey. I have some pics of the floor boards in which are rusted to hell. not the worse thing in the world but........ it does have rust holes none the less. Here is a pic or two but if ya wanna see the whole car then go to this link.

Sorry. Couldnm't get the images to work. just gotta go to the yahoo albums and look and match up the names of the files. Sorry. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

http://photos.yahoo.com/fohaley
This is of the drivers side floor board front seat
FloorBoardsAfter09.jpg
Drivers Side Rear Seat
Floorboardsafter03.jpg
Passengers side rear floor boards.
floorboardsafter01.jpg

Now. in the last pic there are some cracks where it looks like a beam goea across the floor boards. Those cracks aren't supposed to be there are they??

The other pics have those cracks unless they just have straight out rust holes and such.

So is this car restorable for IT with some new floor boards and the repair to the front window. I think I can get the welding done cheap I think but I don't know how much it is gunna cost. I could respectivly though part this car out and then go buy another car. I bought the coupe for 200 dollars and I already have a buyer for the tranny, 150 dollars, and the A/C 100 dollars. It has enkies so I could sell those too along with the engine and then junk the car and go and buy one that possibly doesn't have rust or possibly already has a roll cage in it.

------------------
1998 VW Jetta GLX
Past Away - 1986 VW Jetta GL

[This message has been edited by D_Bat (edited June 11, 2003).]

Greg Amy
06-12-2003, 08:58 AM
With all the work and expense that has to go into preparing a competitive IT car, I have no idea why someone would subject themselves to the masochism of a rusted out rebuild/restoration...

Have fun.

D_Bat
06-12-2003, 10:02 AM
That's what I thought. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I already have two cars I am looking at. Well. Shells I should say.

------------------
1998 VW Jetta GLX

Bill Miller
06-12-2003, 12:31 PM
I second Greg's comment. There's too much work to do to have to worry about rust repair as well. Minor surface rust is one thing, but when you start replacing floor pans and such, I think it's better to look for another shell..

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Mark LaBarre
06-13-2003, 01:15 PM
The factory manual says floor panels are to be welded in. Instant legal seam welding would be the only advantage I see.
mark

D_Bat
06-13-2003, 01:26 PM
I'd rather not deal with it if I don't have to. I'll just look for another Jetta Coupe, GTI, or Golf 2 door.

------------------
1998 VW Jetta GLX

Bill Miller
06-13-2003, 06:53 PM
There were a couple of built Golfs 2drs (GTIs) in Pa. One near Pittsburg, and one about an hour west of Philly for sale in the $1500 - $2000 range. Basic stuff, but looked like solid tubs w/ some goodies. I think the one near Pittsburg had a spare parts car w/ it.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608