PDA

View Full Version : Best control arms bushings for A-1

Marlboro Mafia
04-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for which control arm bushings are the best for an 1981 Rabbit Convertible? The car will be a driver so. . .

Also, the best and most affordable struts and shocks for this car.

Thanks!

Bill Miller
04-28-2003, 06:25 PM
For a road-driven car, don't go w/ anything siffer than PU. The Delrin ones that BSI sells are great, but will be very stiff for the street.

As far as the struts/shocks go, it depends on what you mean by 'affordable'. If you're not going to lower the car, go w/ Bilstein HD's. If you're going to lower it, go w/ the Sports.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Marlboro Mafia
04-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
For a road-driven car, don't go w/ anything siffer than PU. The Delrin ones that BSI sells are great, but will be very stiff for the street.

As far as the struts/shocks go, it depends on what you mean by 'affordable'. If you're not going to lower the car, go w/ Bilstein HD's. If you're going to lower it, go w/ the Sports.

I now I am showing my ignorance but what do you mean by "PU" and what specifically do I need to purchase/install to lower the car? If I do, where do I get the "Sports"?

Woudl lowering it hurt the ride(within reason)? It certainly woudl make it look better.

Again, sorry for my ignorance.

Bill Miller
04-29-2003, 06:56 AM
PU is "Poly Urethane"

To install the bushings, you'll need to press out the rubber control arm bushing. You can do this on a press at a shop, or you can use a vice and an appropriatly sized socket.

For the springs, you'll need a spring compressor to take the front struts apart. Depending on what you get, you may have to get the old inserts out (can be a PITA sometimes). But Bilstein does sell complete front units, w/ housings. You'll also need lowering springs. The rears don't require a spring compressor.

You can get the Bilstein stuff from Autotech or other places. If you're going for Sports, you'll need new springs anyway, and might be able to be complete units that are already put together. Makes the swap that much easier.

Oh, beware of the rusted lower shock bolts in the back. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608