PDA

View Full Version : Audi Coupee GeeTee

RacerDoc
04-24-2003, 10:17 AM
My coupee will start and run for about 5 minutes then dies, as in tach immediately goes to zero, no fuel problem here. I checked the coil, mag pickup and it boils down to the ignition module dies after it runs a while. I.e. there is voltage to the mag pickup in the dist for a while then not, but there is still voltage to the module. Has anyone run into this it'll run for a while then stop condition? I was under the impression that when the module goes bad they just won't run, period. Anyhow I am picking up two running parts cars tomorrow and will change out the module. Just curious about others experiences on this subject. TIA

therooster
04-24-2003, 07:26 PM
I have not run into this on my GT, but on my 80q I had a similar problem. Are you sure that the coil is good? If you have not tried swapping it out for a different one, try it. I had fuel and the coil tested fine resistence wis but I swapped it out with a spare and that was the problem. Also will the car restart after stopping or not?

RacerDoc
04-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Yes it will restart after it sits about 20 minutes. Coil resistance was fine. I am going to try one thing at a time starting with the module.

therooster
04-25-2003, 06:34 PM
What are you referring to as the module? My car is not here so I can not look, but as I recall there is a "power output" on a bracket next to the coil and then there is the computer. Nothing in the sense of a module, like say a Ford or Chevy V8. RST any thoughts?

Bill Miller
04-26-2003, 06:29 PM
I'm pretty sure what he is referring to is similar to the part on a Rabbit (CIS-lambda) that sits up in the rain tray on the driver's side.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

philstireservice
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by RacerDoc:
My coupee will start and run for about 5 minutes then dies, as in tach immediately goes to zero, no fuel problem here. I checked the coil, mag pickup and it boils down to the ignition module dies after it runs a while. I.e. there is voltage to the mag pickup in the dist for a while then not, but there is still voltage to the module. Has anyone run into this it'll run for a while then stop condition? I was under the impression that when the module goes bad they just won't run, period. Anyhow I am picking up two running parts cars tomorrow and will change out the module. Just curious about others experiences on this subject. TIA
I have changed everything on that car
except the autotech black box........i still believe that there might be a short in one of the wires somewhere. The car will race fine........even great....the problem you are having didn't always exist and I thought i had fixed it ..or I wouldn't have sold it that way. I never had a problem racing it ...i have done a few hour long enduros with it and it never died. If there was a yellow I would keep it reving above 3000 rpm and it would never stall......look for a bad wire from the ignition to that box or visa versa.........I had spent countless hours soldering wires and rerunning new ones...and thought I had it fixed....it ran great all last year.......

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST2
www.philstireservice.com
www.imprintedorginals.com

RSTPerformance
04-28-2003, 11:56 AM
I have a problem with the car once it warms up... If I hit a bump or drop a wheel off course then the car will "cut out" at higher RPM's and will continue to get worse as the race goes on. If you pull in and let the car cool for about 20 minutes it will be fine again. We have chased this "bug" for over 2 yrs and still have not found it. My crew cheif (Randy 15) has told me the solution to the problem is to stay on track http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Anyway I am in Washington DC for the week on business, but I will call home and talk to a few prople who might be able to give me a few ideas... or maybe my brother will respond.

Hey come to think of it are you guys in DC area? If you are not to far I would be more than happy to drive over and take a look... Drop me an e-mail [email protected] if you are interested.

TTYL got to get to work http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Raymond
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com) (Last Updated 4/16/03)

RSTPerformance
04-28-2003, 04:00 PM
My first instinct would definetly be the fuel pump or something related to fuel. I have had a fuel pump go bad in my 84 4000 quattro (Same car basically). It would run fine for a few minutes then stall out and die. It the would not run or even start for about 5-10 min. If you kept trying it it would take longer. In the end I found out the fuel pump had basically been overworked and it's time was done! the hard part about descovering that it was the fuel pump was that you could hear it turn on but because the car was running and it was stalling out right as the fuel pump quit you couldn't tell that the fuel pump was turning off firstbefore the car turned off.

however you did say that it wasn't a fuel problem so I will do some brainstorming tonight with my father, the gentlemen from Force Five Automotive (Our spnosor that knows almost everything about Audi's) and our other crew members. give us any other info that you may have and I'll check this site before I drive down to meet them!

Stephen

Bill Miller
04-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Raymond,

I had a very similar problem w/ my A1 GTI. I didn't have to hit a bump or anything, but after ~10 min, the car would start to break up at the top end. It would progressivly get worse to the point where the car wouldn't pull past 5k rpm w/o breaking up. I changed all the electrical stuff on the car (except the module, because I didn't think of it). New Bosch dizzy, new Bosch coil, new Bosch wires, new cap and rotor, but still the problem was there. On a whim, I swapped out the KJet box and the problem was gone! Makes me think it was something to do w/ the wiring in the module circuit (or at least related to the module circuit).

therooster
04-28-2003, 11:50 PM
"...what he is referring to is similar to the part on a Rabbit (CIS-lambda) that sits up in the rain tray on the driver's side..."

Double checked my rain tray tonight. I could not find any ignition type parts. I know my friend's 'Rocco had that box, but I do not seems to have it. Maybe that it why I am confused. Sort of agree with RST that it maybe a fuel problem but that was dismissed early on. Good luck