PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! VW/Audi 1.8 Question

Paul
04-09-2003, 10:15 AM
I need a little help with my commuter. Ok, I race in a uh, Brand X (R -7)but my street car is an '86 Audi 4000S with the 1.8L K-Jetronic engine. I don't know a whole lot about Bosch K. The car keeps having this problem where the Blue Coolant level warning light comes on at the same time the engine power just falls off. It doesn't stall but can barely pull away from a stop light and the throttle is Very unresponsive. If I turn the ignition off and then restart the car (With the key or by bump starting it while continuing to roll) it returns to normal. It seems to do this while under power but not at idle. The engine still runs smooth but just lacks any power.
I am really stumped by this and would appreciate any tips you VW guys could supply.
TIA
Paul

RSTPerformance
04-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Chack all your grounds if you havn't already done so...

These darn Audi's have sooooo many electrical problems, trust me I know.

Does the car run rich or lean???

I am trying to remember how the 1.8 is wired (we generally play with the 2.2). The 2.2 has only 8 esential wires and/or sensors to run the engine... be sure to check all those connections and find out where the ground is for each one.

I always like disconnecting sensors and seeing if they made a difference, if they don't then that may be the problem... If they do make the car run worse then I figure the sensor is doing something right and I leave it alone. (This is not the "correct way" of fixing something, but I have found several problesm, but not all, this way)

Check the Differential Pressure Regulator... I have had problems with the ground that is on the intake side of the engine. but never had the coolent level light come on.

(Blue Coolent level light... thats odd)

Also after you take the car out of the garage expect something else to be broken... the car has a mind of its own and prefers at least one thing broken, luckaly it generally will never leave you stranded!!!

Good Luck

Raymond "Working on wiring myself" Blethen
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com) (Last Updated 4/4/03)