PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf A2 rack swap

MiniStocker
03-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Hello, I've decided to install power steering on my Golf Ministock which has manual steering currently. The question that I have is: Are there any things to look out for when doing the swap? Things like steering column size or spline counts, different sized tie rod ends, etc. I have an '85 Golf and the rack that I've gotten is out of an '87 16V Golf with power steering. I was just wondering if this was pretty much a straight forward swap or are other parts needed.

Just thought I would ask the pro's, thanks,
Scott

marker
03-28-2003, 03:09 PM
The rack is pretty much a direct bolt in, asssuming you have the power steering tie rods, and the bushings that go around the rack.

Other than that, just run the lines, the reservoir, and mount the pump to the block.

------------------
Pete Mills

itbgti
03-28-2003, 03:37 PM
The racks are pretty much the same, as well as the splines, but the piece (I do not know the technical name) that connects the rack to the steering wheel shaft are DIFFERENT (some are longer) depending on model and model year. I found this out the hard way. So, you may want to compare those two pieces, and see which one you will need.

Regards,
Alan

MiniStocker
03-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks a ton guys, your input is greatly appreciated. You've potentially saved me alot of time in the garage.

Thanks,
Scott