PDA

View Full Version : What should i look for in an ITB Raggit GTi?

LiAudio
03-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Im considering purchasing an ITB Rabbit GTI. What problem areas should i look for. I want a straight and reliable car to get my comp license and a few years on the regional level. Any advice? Technical issues? It wasn't run last year, but it has everything current up to that point. It is B.Millers car for sale in the classifieds page.

Thanks guys!

(Bill, just trying to get some 3rd party opinions!)

Bill Miller
03-25-2003, 09:36 AM
No problem Michael. There are people here that have run w/ me and have seen the car.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Knestis
03-25-2003, 09:57 AM
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif I HEAR that Miller is a pretty straight shooter but you will want to look the log book over carefully, to make sure that there aren't any issues raised by tech inspectors that were never corrected. Maybe buy him dinner to take the car for an annual tech before you write the check, if the sticker isn't current. Your primary concerns are safety and reliability. The appearance of a race car says a LOT about how well prepared it is. Check for upaid parking tickets or old food in the glovebox. I like this test - ask him, "If you could be any animal in the world what would it be?" If he says, "Weasel," bail...

Seriously, a Rabbit GTI sounds like it would be a perfect answer, given your goals, and you are a wise person to buy one prepared rather than build one.

Kirk

Ryan Williams
03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Check for a lucky Wabbit's foot hanging from the mirror. Good luck, Ryan.

Bill Miller
03-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Gee Ryan, you think I'd let my prized possesion go???? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

JOESELLSVW
03-25-2003, 08:44 PM
I would reccomend Bill's car. Besides the fact that he's a super nice guy and has been there and cone that, the car is proven. Everything has been gone thru. I wish my ca was like that. I've had to learn some of the costly lessons of assembling a race car. Buying a car that is turn key is the way to go. If you bought it today you could even do teh spring school this weekend.... JOE

LiAudio
03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
joe,

are you a close friend of bills, or are you just a good salesman! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Well, i have considered buying a car from scratch, but that is a little harder for a newbie like myself. I feel that it is much easier to go about it this way. I, (uh-oh ....shouldn't say this....), was considering a 88-91 honda civic or crx for IT as i am a little more familiar w/ those models. I did own a couple A1 veedubs as well. and a type 3 too!

I am going to look at the car this weekend and decide then. If its suitable, its 90% a done deal. Dont get yer hopes up too high though Bill! there is still that 10% chance!

still have to figure out what im going to do with that SOLO 2 Formula 440....... Anyone? Anyone?

thanks guys.

racer_tim
03-26-2003, 01:51 AM
still have to figure out what im going to do with that SOLO 2 Formula 440....... Anyone? Anyone?

Isn't that a lawn mower?

Just kidding.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 LP GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

JOESELLSVW
03-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Yes I do call myself a friend of Bill's, but not in the AA sense. For $3500. you can't go wrong! I paid a little less for my A2 GTI threee years ago and it wasn't anywhere near as good as Bill's car. TO build that car from scratch and to include all of the extra parts that he's throwing in would set you close to ten grand. As I've said, you can't lose with this car. This is a s close to arrive and drive as you get. If Bill were to rent this car for a driver's school he'd be able to get about $1000 for a two day event. Do the math. Yes I do sell cars, VW's especially. So I guess that makes me professionally qualified to say that this is a good deal. I've recommended this car to a fellow BMW club member who started out tracking an A1 GTI and "moved up" to an E36 M3 race car. With his engine in pieces in rebuild land for the past year, the only seat time he's seen has been the Glen enduro in MY car! HE's going to contact Bill sometime this week. Not to pressure you.... do what you think is right, but unless Bill puts a bow on it and parks it in your living room under a tree, the deal really doesn't get any better. I GET NOTHING OUT OF THIS. No comission not even a beer... not because Bill wouldn't offer, but because I don't drink! This is sound advice fromfolks besides myself. This is the easiest and cheapest way to get into racing. HE should be asking MORE for the car, especially with the season on our heels! If you look back into other posts you'll see that BIll has reccomended people BUYING a car instead of building one for the past few years. That's where I got the advice to buy my car. I also bought my car fro the classifieds page on this site. JOE

LiAudio
03-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input Joe!

machschnell
03-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Yup, I've seen the car too, though not in action on the track - or with the new paint job... but enough to know the price is right.

And Bill is a top-notch guy, helped me out with advice/parts after I got my Rabbit. Better to buy from him at that price, than someone else - not knowing whether you're getting a deal or the other end of the stick...

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB