PDA

View Full Version : A1 distributor installed in an A2

spike
03-13-2003, 11:47 PM
I am installing a A1 vacuum advance distributor in my A2 golf. I known I need to rerun wires to the distributor but from where and to where? What is the change between the A1 and A2 harness?

thanks for the help

Eric Parham
03-14-2003, 04:34 PM
I assume your A1 distributor is an 80-84 electronic unit. If so, that's exactly the same (w/ possible exception of vacuum can, and electrical connector boot shape for some) to most 85-87 A2 distributors. The only difference is that the 85-87 GTIs had a fixed advance unit, and the 88-up Digi cars had fixed advance with a different shutter wheel (don't use a non-Digi shutter wheel with the Digi engine management).

spike
03-15-2003, 11:54 AM
I was told that the vacuum advance distributor can be advanced more that the GTI unit.
But I need to change the harness,
From were to were?
The connectors are the same on the GTI unit?
I think I removed the unit from a 83 Golf.
Thanks for the help
SPIKE

Eric Parham
03-17-2003, 12:56 PM
I see, you want to put a Rabbit distributor (same as base CIS Golf) into a Golf GTI. If you started with an 84-up distrib, I think the connector would interchange. But, it may not be a good idea since you will be adding the centrifugal advance of the early distrib to the electronic advance of the GTI knock-sensing computer. It would run, but would also result in about 50 degrees of dynamic advance, WAY too much and more than the knock computer can compensate for, IMHO.

spike
03-18-2003, 11:32 PM
what do you think about the distributor
BSI is selling? http://www.bsiracing.com/bsi_products.asp

[This message has been edited by spike (edited March 18, 2003).]

Eric Parham
03-19-2003, 02:34 PM
I have a Shine Racing Services ("SRS") recurved distributor, and the engine feels more responsive with it. I believe it brings the advance in a little sooner. I don't know if BSI's is the same or not.

spike
03-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Is it a vacuum advance unit like BSI?
The way I have seen them used is with the
Timing fixed.(no vacuum source connected)
If so did you need to change the harness to use it?

tschwenke
03-19-2003, 09:34 PM
go back and get the rabbit harness that went to the ignition module. That will work. You just have to tap the RPM signal to the ECU (and whatever else needs it - fuel relay - gauge).

I don't remember if I looked at the drawing in the Golf/Bentley manual or just found a Rabbit mechanization to compare.

Depending on how nice you want things to look it can take some time getting into the harness. But the results will be rewarding.

spike
03-19-2003, 10:02 PM
What are your running for timing?

Is There anyone that send me a wiring chart for the distributor A1 Rabbit and A2 Golf?
Thanks again.

Eric Parham
03-19-2003, 10:39 PM
The SRS recurved distrib was vac and mech adv, but had the vac removed entirely (I can't remember whether we did that or SRS). The lack of vac can keeps me from mixing it up with others, but otherwise probably doesn't matter http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

We run anywhere from 34 to 40 degrees of total advance (i.e., set at 4000 rpm), depending on several factors (weather, fuel quality, engine condition, etc).