PDA

View Full Version : Cam ID?

Tim
01-02-2003, 11:59 PM
I just recieved a box full of misc rabbit parts via an ebay purchase, among them a new cam. The box has no markings other then handwritten vkw 049109101. The markings on the cam itself are:
EP25
1-5
CWC
D-2
C-2
Does anybody know what cam this is or how I could id it??

thanks

dave parker
01-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Tim
My vw microfiche identifies your cam as a stock cam for:
77-80 rabbit
79-80 rabbit conv
1980 jetta
76-80 scirocco
76-80 dasher wow!
If its in good shape it sounds like a viable spare to me.
Have Fun
dave parker
wdcr itb#97

Tim
01-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Sweet, thanks Dave. The cam is brand new, perfect shape. Also got two brand new cam gears, assorted hoses, valve springs and a tie rod, etc all new all for $40 bucks. Sometimes you've got to love ebay.

Ryan Williams
01-04-2003, 02:08 AM
The cam is good for a street car as the lift is only 0.406 inches. Good luck, Ryan.

Bill Miller
01-04-2003, 03:02 AM
It's actually better than a GTI cam.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

ITC Mercury
01-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Where would a lay person find this microfiche or similar database/catalog of parts? Can you buy a book or find it online?

dave parker
01-06-2003, 10:42 PM
I got my microfiche back in the day when I worked at a dealer parts dept. From what I understand they are all computerized now and no one uses "fish" anymore.Microfiche readers are the hard part,try to find one of those! I also have many O.E. paper catalogs that I kept from my parts days.
The best advice that I can give on the parts reference materials is this:
Find someone at the local parts store(a real parts store not AutoZone)who is smart,understands what your doing and will take the time to help you.
Always deal with that person whether you have to wait for them,call them back,etc.
Buy everything from that person,even if they are not the cheapest in town.
Help them,a case of beer, tickets to the local races,whatever...
Good Luck
dave parker
wdcr itb#97

Eric Parham
01-13-2003, 04:03 PM
The handwritten "part numbar" aside, the markings on the cam itself indicate an AFTERMARKET cam. The "CWC" indicates a US-made billet of questionable metallurgy, especially if it's several years old. I would do a quick check of the lift to see if it's greater than 0.406". A check of the first edition of Greg Raven's book might help identification. The "D-2" might be the grind identifier.

Harry
01-17-2003, 02:21 AM
Tim, I found the phone # 616-733-1331

CWC Textron is located in Muskogen, MI. They make high quality cams. The make all the cams for Honda & Toyota that are built here in the states. Their cams are in my Toyota Avalon, 2002 Durango, and my Nissan race car. Textron is a $12 billon group of companies. They make tanks for BMW and VW.
You can call them and give them the cam #' and find out the specs on your cam. I don't have their phone # but it's on the internet via Textron CWC.
Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited January 17, 2003).]

Eric Parham
01-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks Harry. No disrespect to CWC, but their cams didn't originally hold up to watercooled VW applications. I've seen more than one that had started to disintegrate. I do know that they improved the metallurgy for the VW app cams several years ago, but the early ones need to be watched very carefully, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited January 17, 2003).]