PDA

View Full Version : camber plates

moliver
12-04-2002, 04:58 PM
I have a MK1 Scirocco and am going to be installing some camber plates but now the question....Do I fab my own, use BSI, use OPM or ? What do you guys use? If I fab my own, are you just using a spherical bearing at the top or a spherical thrust bearing?

Thanks for your thoughts/experience.

Mike

Bill Miller
12-04-2002, 06:38 PM
I've got the BSI ones in my ITB Rabbit GTI. Stu makes nice stuff, and they are very strong.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

moliver
12-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Weld in?

Scirocco#28
12-04-2002, 09:25 PM
I blew out the BSI bolt ins in a season. They are a great design, just not beefy enough for our track, which probably resembles the smoothness of your grass down south! I ended up inheriting a set of very nice aluminum plates from a machinist friend of mine who was scrapping his car. They are about 1.5" thick and are offset to push my struts a bit more towards the front of the car.

Steve

------------------
87 ITB Scirocco
HighSpeed Motorsports (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Tim
12-04-2002, 10:44 PM
I used Shines camber plates and bolted them in, one season, so far very good. Very strong. I would have welded them if I had a welder but also figured I could switch these over to another shell if I needed to. Given the thickness of the plate the correct grade bolts and thick washers I would be very surprised if they pulled through or went anywhere.

The OPMs are direct bolts ins, other s require fabrication.

JOESELLSVW
12-04-2002, 10:56 PM
I have the Shine ubits bolted in to my current Golf, so far so good for two seasons now or about 13.5 on track hours. I'm building a new car, same thing, jus another tub.... much cleaner. I've stripped the car, removed the sunroof and am about to have the engine bay painted and roof welded at the bodyshop. I wanted to know the advantages of what Stu at BSI does when they build up the area at the shock towers when installing their camber plates. This was seen in the Grassroots Mtotrsports ITB GTI build up earlier this year. It seems as though this is legal since it appears that the strut mounting height is the same as stock. Any thoughts on this? JOE

shwah
12-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by moliver:
I have a MK1 Scirocco and am going to be installing some camber plates but now the question....Do I fab my own, use BSI, use OPM or ? What do you guys use? If I fab my own, are you just using a spherical bearing at the top or a spherical thrust bearing?

Thanks for your thoughts/experience.

Mike

I ended up making some. Used a spherical bearing on the top and a thrust bearing to carry the load below the plate. If you are buying, the Ground Control ones are very nice. I would be glad to show you my setup, since we are both in chicagoland. Heck until I weld the diff I may bring the car out to a CVO autocross or two and you can see them there too.

Chris

moliver
12-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by shwah:
I ended up making some. Used a spherical bearing on the top and a thrust bearing to carry the load below the plate. If you are buying, the Ground Control ones are very nice. I would be glad to show you my setup, since we are both in chicagoland. Heck until I weld the diff I may bring the car out to a CVO autocross or two and you can see them there too.

Chris

Hey Chris, I would be interested in seeing your setup. Have you been to any of the CVO events this year? You might have seen my car there because I have done a few.

E-mail me off line.

oliver (at) autotruck.com

Thanks for all the replys guys.

shwah
12-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Yeah Mike, my wife and I were at all but one. We ran either my 16V Scirocco (now sold...) or her 90 8v GTI. Used to be on the CVO board, but gave it up to spend more time buiding the IT car.

Lets get in touch after the holidays and you can see what I did. I will email you, or you can get me at [email protected]

Chris

moliver
12-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Mike

racer_tim
12-05-2002, 12:34 PM
Mike, I used the Ground Control units, and installed them below the stock perches. I did have to go with 5" springs in order to get the ride height correct, but I only had to drill some holes to mount them without cutting the top of the tower.

My $0.02 worth

Tim Linerud

Check out http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-ca...amber-plate.jpg (http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-camber-plate.jpg)

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer14itc
12-05-2002, 01:02 PM
I too use Ground Contol plates, but the ones that mount on top:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]=ph&.view=t (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/vwp?.dir=/&.dnm=Camber+plates.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t)

Mark

shwah
12-05-2002, 09:33 PM
You know I just thought about something. If this is for a street/autocross car, rather than a race car.... you might want to look at the camber plates from Eurosport Accessories. They bolt on very easily to the MkI chassis too.

Chris

moliver
12-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Do the eurosport ones have any damping to them or are they solid sperical bearings?

Why do you think they would be better for ocassional (to and from) street use, most use is track/autocross?

Mike

JayLfrye
12-16-2002, 04:22 PM
You might try OPM or Walt Puckett. I have a set that Walt built that offer an inch more travel and have the bearing. I had them built to accept the KONI dbl adj shocks and they work great.

machschnell
12-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JayLfrye:
You might try OPM or Walt Puckett. I have a set that Walt built that offer an inch more travel and have the bearing. I had them built to accept the KONI dbl adj shocks and they work great.

I have the BSI plates. They do offer more than an inch of travel, which apparently is a good thing for A1s to have.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

moliver
12-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Do you have the bolt in or weld in BSI plates?

By the way they are on sale!!

Mike

shwah
12-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Do the eurosport ones have any damping to them or are they solid sperical bearings?

Why do you think they would be better for ocassional (to and from) street use, most use is track/autocross?

Mike

They are a pretty good deal. Also, I was thinking that they would be easier to mount, because from my recollection they bolted to the stock upper strut holes on an A1. But looking at the website that may no longer be the case. Anyhow, here is a photo.

http://www.eurosportacc.com/images/camberplt_spc.jpg

Chris

machschnell
12-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Do you have the bolt in or weld in BSI plates?
Mike

I've got the bolt-ins.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Joe Craven
12-19-2002, 08:07 PM
I've got 3 degrees camber in my GTI Cup car in the front w/o camber plates. I used thinner bolts (fasteners are open) and it has worked out fine. I bought the bolts from TireRack. The springs are Neuspeed racing with stock perches as required by my class' rules.

racerdrew43
12-23-2002, 05:18 PM
I had a set of eurosport plates but they bent in the center and the bearing wore out quickly. I also had a set of ground control camber plates, (the kind that mounted on the bottom),they are nicely made but I had to make spacers to mount them on top and then had to make new top spring perches to eliminate a bind caused by the relocation. I've replaced them with the Shine plates and I'll be keeping this set. They are sturdy and the bearing is good.

Eric Parham
01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
I use the Shine/Carrera plates, which have sperical bearings. Between ice racing and my all-too-frequent two-wheel-off excursions in IT, I was blowing the sleeves (aka self-lubricating liners) out of the spherical bearings on a regular basis. That is when I switched to heavy-duty sleeveless spherical bearings. One set of these has now lasted over four years, and all I have to do is remember to give them a few drops of oil once in a while. The setup is now virtually indestructible http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Not as pretty as Stu's BSI setup though...