PDA

View Full Version : Golf power steering

MiniStocker
11-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Hi guys, I am wondering if the benefits of faster effortless steering in a race car with a locked differential are worth the horsepower drain of running a power steering pump. I feel that my turn in could be alot better (particularly in traffic) if I didn't need so much elbow grease to turn the thing. I can't really make sudden lane changes like some of the other cars I race against. I am on GoodYear slicks with a locked diff. I run stagger, so the car only wants to turn left (which in my case is a good thing on an oval track).

I know I'm not an "IT" driver, but you guys are the most knowledgable on the net. I hope you forgive me and share your knowledge and advise with me...

Thanks,
Scott

racer_tim
11-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Try getting a larger steering wheel, or move the seat closer. I run a locked front diff, and the really only difference is that you have to be on the gas in order to turn in.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

wvonkessler
01-02-2003, 03:15 PM
The VW power rack is less turns lock to lock than the manual rack. So you get the benefit of (1) tighter steering; and (2) power for the beast.

Wilson

Vantage #51
01-06-2003, 06:58 PM
There is commercially available a quick ratio steering rack that makes the steering
go from 2 3/4 turns to less than 2, for the manual rack , Might be the answer, it is heavier to turn by about 30% however.
Not IT legal unfortunately.