PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit intake manifold gaskets

machschnell
12-23-2002, 03:00 PM
I'm going to have the intake manifold off my car soon, so I wanted to purchase a new gasket, but all of the online stores show the gasket with a different design than what I have now, take a look at what I mean:

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/acatalog/8V_int...ld_gasket_t.jpg (http://www.bahnbrenner.com/acatalog/8V_intake_manifold_gasket_t.jpg)

No idea what the 5th 'bumped out' hole is for, and don't want to order one if that's what it looks like. Any idea how or why?

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

ITBracer54
12-23-2002, 11:45 PM
mac,

may be wrong, but that is probably the superceeded part for the later 8v Golfs. I have used those and they work fine.

Chris

'84 GTi #54 ITB

Vantage #51
12-27-2002, 07:17 PM
The 5th hole at the 3/4 mark on one end is for the intake for the air shrouded injectors
on cis cars from 84 on ,they work fine on older cars, the gasket hangs up out of harms way by the "bump."

Bill Miller
12-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Vantage #51:
The 5th hole at the 3/4 mark on one end is for the intake for the air shrouded injectors
on cis cars from 84 on ,they work fine on older cars, the gasket hangs up out of harms way by the "bump."

Beat me to it.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

machschnell
12-28-2002, 04:58 PM
That would make sense, but how is the "air shrouded" intake different from the regular one. I have a spare '84 air-shrouded head, and the it doesn't look any different, the port for the air is just a nipple you connect some vacuum hose to, there isn't a separate 'runner' on the intake manifold to feed air to the injectors.

Unless you meant to say '85 and on CIS-E engines, in which case I'd have to believe you.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Vantage #51
12-30-2002, 10:05 PM
The gasket is designed to go around it,not to actually seal it.The bump is to make the gasket 1 piece.

tschwenke
01-02-2003, 01:10 PM
To add to the friends in Canada - it is not the intake that is different, it is the head. There is a plastic connector that must connect to the head and then a tube that runs up to the intake boot close to the throttle body.