PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit GTI cornerweighting

machschnell
12-23-2002, 03:12 PM
I received an early xmas present from my mother-in-law this past weekend, Don Alexander's book "High performance Handling Handbook". Great book so far, what's cool is that they devote a few pages to a simple buildup of a Rabbit for the GTI Cup series.

What I found most interesting was that after installing the spec Bilstein/Neuspeed suspension, adding the cage, etc. as well as 50 pounds of ballast (didn't say where, assuming pass. seat area) the crossweights were 50.09%!!! This was w/out adjusting any corner heights at all. Total weight was 2176 w/ driver, 2150 being the minimum for NASA.

Needless to say I was surprised to know that the Rabbits come pretty balanced in terms of cornerweights, is that pretty common? I was under the assumption that non-sports cars like the Rabbit, would require a good bit of fiddling with springs, coilovers to get it right?

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Knestis
12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Sheer luck...

Kirk

Joe Craven
12-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Machschnell, where are you going to race that GTI Cup car at? In any case, those GTI Cup cars are really forgiving, and they handle well even if the rear suspension is a little tweaked and corner weights off. I run mine with 55psi in the rear tires just to get it to rotate better as the fronts are definitely the limiting end for traction. In any case, I'm probably about 2 seconds slower in my GTI Cup car at Sears Point as compared to my full on ITB Capri so they handle and go quite well.

BTW, I see you have ITB listed, and hopefully you didn't install an ERW Autopower cage and don't have a SCCA log book yet.

Joe Craven
ITB Capri
GTI Cup Car (will be rain backup car in ITB)
PS3 Capri

machschnell
12-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Joe Craven:
Machschnell, where are you going to race that GTI Cup car at?

The GTI Cup car was featured in the book I'm reading. The car I'm 'building' will have a DOM cage, as soon as I put it in.

PJ

------------------

Bill Miller
12-23-2002, 07:22 PM
PJ,

It's not that hard to get the cross weight even. How'd your corner weights and l/r f/r bias come out?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

machschnell
12-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
PJ,

It's not that hard to get the cross weight even. How'd your corner weights and l/r f/r bias come out?

Bill, I haven't done my car yet, I was only commenting on what I read in the book.

PJ

------------------