PDA

View Full Version : A2 Manual Steering Feedback

aburchell44
12-03-2002, 08:00 PM
I have a 1992 Golf that has some suttle steering feedback through the column and the wheel. Its only when it hits a pothole.
I replaced the ball joints, tie rods, except left one. And even springs, shocks and mounts. Could it be my c arm bushing? Is it time for some poly bushes????

Thanks

Andrew

dave parker
12-03-2002, 08:32 PM
Andrew
My rabbit convertible does this also. It is the bushings in the steering column. The bushings that go on either end of the collapsible section. Good luck.
dave parker
wdcr itb#13

Vantage #51
12-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Andrew, could be play in the rack itself, as they do wear also.
Especially in our climate
Derek

aburchell44
12-09-2002, 11:03 PM
Hey derek, is there a quick/easy way to tell if its the rack? A good rack is always nice : )

I have the power steering rack from my GTI would it be worth the conversion, or stick with the manual?

Andrew

machschnell
12-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Assuming the A2 manual racks are the same as A1 racks, there is an adjusting screw on the rear of the rack (hard to get to). If you feel the rack is a bit loose, you can tighten the screw, tho too much will make it too tight.

If you do replace the rack, get poly rack bushings too, $20.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Vantage #51
12-11-2002, 11:46 PM
Andrew,
take ahold of the inner tie rod ends
where they attach to the ends of the steering rack,there should be only a small or no amount of free play.
If the rack is worn the inner ends will go up
and down. they will also move up&down if you wiggle the wheel back and forth a little bit.
Cannot really fix it other than with a new rack.the adjustment is only for the free play in the rack gear mesh.The rack gear/shaft is high strength steel,riding in an aluminum case,add dirt and rust,guess which one wears out first.
The P/S rack is legal but the pump probally takes 3-5 HP to run maybe.It does have a quicker ratio than the manual.
P.S. the poly rack bushings are not legal in IT at this time.
Derek