PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit brake cooling

machschnell
11-25-2002, 10:20 PM
I'd like to optimize the cooling of the front brakes in my Rabbit. I'd like to incorporate some ducting, per IT rules, and get some air to the rotors, to reduce fade, and gain some rotor and pad life, as I've noticed the wear from the Hawk Blues i've been running.

I'd like to run hose from an opening in my duckbill spoiler to the brakes. To get any benefit at all, should the hose get as close to the rotor as possible, or will a few inches be OK? Is it necessary to build some sort of a shroud where the air exits?

I think once I figure out a good place to run the hose, I'll wrap it in duct tape to make the hose less flexible, and more resistant to ripping, etc. The tightest part seems to be the passenger side, where a hose will be a tight fit, running between the oil pan and the front wheel when it's completely turned.

I'd really just be interested in seeing any pictures of setups any of you run, whether it be a VW or not, just to get some ideas. Or just hear opinions on how beneficial it would be to do this. I did locate a product being sold for Golfs, it doesn't seem to be as complete as I would like, and I'd rather not pay much either.

http://www.eurosportacc.com/brakecool.htm

Thanks,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Bill Miller
11-25-2002, 11:50 PM
PJ,

You probably want to point the ducts at the calipers as opposed to the rotors. The rotors are vented, but the calipers are these nice heat soaks. Move the air across the calipers to help cool them and the fluid. I doubt that any fade you're getting is from over heating the Hawk Blues, it's more likely from over heated brake fluid.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608