PDA

View Full Version : PAGID PADS????? GENERIC ROTORS???

aburchell44
11-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Here is the deal.
I am building an Auto x car that I may want to IT Race too. Its a 1992 2 Dr Golf with a GTI motor, 4 pt cage (for now), and I will be putting a seat and coilovers etc.
As for the brakes, I have cross drilled rotors (which I will have to remove) and OE pads.

I just bought a set of Pagid Pads from a Whoesaler up her for 20$ CDN (like 16USD). I was told that they are soft and wont glaze, or provide brake fad.

Has anyone used them? Are they OK? I know you are going to say get HAWK pads, but the3 almighty $$$ gets in the way.... Any major difference between PAGID and other performance pads????

As for the Rotors, There are OEM Vented rotors for really cheap vs more expensive Brembos? I currently have Brembo 11.3" Rotors on my VR6, and I like them. But is there that much of a difference between and 11$CDN Vented rotor vs a 50$ Brembo one???

Thanks,

Andrew

itracer
11-15-2002, 02:13 PM
ATE brake rotors are the best (IMHO). They are closest to the OEM.

As for IT, etc. make sure you follow the GCR if you have plans to race in IT later. There are mods that are allowed in Auto-x that are not allowed in IT. Some of them are expensive to undo. You can race an IT built car in auto-x classes, but you cannot mix and match the rules.

Have fun!

Jason
ITB Scirocco #17
NERSCCA

aburchell44
11-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks jason. Ive been helping out Scirocco 28 and my other buddy crs240sx the last while. as well I have read the GCR a few times about the different rules.

I know for now I am building a car not to be too competitive for ITB because of the costs etc. As well the guys in Nova Scotia are extremely helpful when it comes to assistance with parts rules etc.

ill look into the ATE rotors...

Andrew

tschwenke
11-15-2002, 02:53 PM
I will say that I have never tried those italian rotors on my IT car but a friend did. I have never seen a set of hawk blues chew up a rotor faster. Another friend had the Murrays special ($12 each) Chinese set that lasted longer. Our rotors usually don't look bad when we run out of pad but at the cost (<$60 pair) for ATE from BSI we just get them with new pads.

I have the italian on my VR6 (golf) with Mintex and after a proper break-in (and 2 months of easy driving) they warped (slightly) after 3 hard applies in a row. Not enough runout that passengers can notice but enough to know I wouldn't want them on the IT car.

Never tried the pagid pad and don't know anyone that has. What kind of pad was it? If you can find the specs you can compare them to Hawk etc..

Dead Skunk
11-15-2002, 04:27 PM
I use $13 rotors from Murray's all the time. Ran the past season on one pair and there's plenty left to start next season. The pads are Hawk blues and I don't have fade problems or anything else. OEM VW rotors don't last any longer.

machschnell
11-15-2002, 06:31 PM
I got ATE 9.4" vented rotors from jagworks.com for $23/each, so I ordered two sets, since I also run Hawk Blues and have noticed the disc wear.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Scirocco#28
11-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Andrew,

Altrom brand vented rotors are the ticket! $10 each and I put 3 weekends on my last set, compared to one with he Brembos. I will NOT be going back to Brembo, I was tearing the finish off them. The Altrom brand looked like brand new after each weekend. Definitly the best rotor out there for your buck.

As far as pads, if they are the same Pagid i used a couple of years ago, they worked ok, but were turned to dust by the end of a weekend. I currently use Carbotech Panther Plus, and I am very happy with the performance. Great initial bite and you can stand on them until the cows come home with out any fade. I will say though that I have issues with their consistency. One set will last a couple weekends, and then the next set, under similar conditions will wear out in a weekend. Strange. I an going to be bringing that up when I call them this winter. Other drivers have told me the same.

Hope that helps

Steve

------------------
87 ITB Scirocco
HighSpeed Motorsports (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Bill Miller
11-15-2002, 09:39 PM
PJ, Hawk Blues will definately chew on rotors, but they stop really well! At $25/each from BSI, the new ATE rotors from Germany are pretty much the way to go. I find that when the pads are done, so are the rotors.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

aburchell44
11-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Steve, Thast sweet about the rotors. Barry will gear me up through Altrom. Dirt cheap like 11$ each CDN (or 84USD) for each rotor.
I might buy a few different types of pads from altrom like their altrom brand, PBR metalmaster, PBR deluxe, PAGID etc.
I was told that the PAGIDs are soft but have come down in price tonnes over the last few years.

So altrom 11$ rotors and some testing with the pads and Ill be goood to go.

Steve, how much for the pads?

Andrew

JOESELLSVW
11-16-2002, 02:38 AM
I'm running the Hawk Blues, they do eat rotors, but the bite is great. I know that these are probably illegal, but since I gave my GCR to someone, I can't look it up, but ATE Power Disc rotors are only like $4 more per rotor than the plain ATE rotors. The power disc version are slotted with an atomic style look to them. Very tempting... Bill a ruling please? Joe

Bill Miller
11-16-2002, 09:04 AM
They're illegal Joe. Also, they're a bit more than $29/each. I believe they're closer to $40/ea - $45/ea.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Scirocco#28
11-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Andrew,

The carbotech are about $80 per set I think, I'll have to check my records.

Steve

------------------
87 ITB Scirocco
HighSpeed Motorsports (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Vantage #51
11-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Andrew, we use the VW rotors and Carbotech
Panther plus pads, good life and easy on the rotors. One set did the ARRC for 3rd place
AND won IT-B 2hour enduro,still have enough left to do 2 or 3 AMP weekends Cost $80 USD from Larry at carbotech in N.Carolina

Vantage #51
11-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Andrew, buy the good stuff and come out and play in IT next year, the more cars we get the more fun we all have!!!
Dino

JOESELLSVW
11-16-2002, 10:26 PM
That's what I thought Bill. I work for a shop and the source that we use is selling them on special right now. I think $32 is the price, now you can see why I was hoping for a miracle and thinking that somwhow they'd be legal. I figured that they'd be illegal since I've never seen anybody use them and the whole "rules creep" issue. As for the enduro, I think that I'll be there, the car is ready... new late knuckles, hubs, bearings, cv's and brake pads after the Glen 3 Hr. Setting up a light bar with four huge Hellas, looks with I'm ready for the Maine Forest Rally. I'll email you on Monday to tell you if I'm going for sure. JOE

Bill Miller
11-17-2002, 12:42 AM
Joe,

LMK, and I'll try and come down and help.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

aburchell44
11-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Vantage #51:
Andrew, buy the good stuff and come out and play in IT next year, the more cars we get the more fun we all have!!!
Dino

I am really gunna try to come out but the ole mighty $$$ is getting in the way. Its kinda expensive for me to do it. But maybe a few weekends.... I dont mind the parts, but the safety gear, gas and entry fee kills me. And there would be no chance of a sponsor if nobody is there to see me and I havent been out yet http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif