PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Rabbit fuel tank

machschnell
11-15-2002, 06:59 PM
I've experienced some of what I think is fuel starvation while autocrossing my Rabbit this year, I've noticed it when I have less than ~1/3 tank of gas, hasn't happened when it's full. Judging by some posts in this forum re: fuel starvation, it seems a baffle can come loose in the tank, which means sloshing fuel will starve the engine.

I opened up the sender opening on my tank to try and understand what's inside, and noticed that the baffle and the pipe that runs from the baffle to the opening that feeds the fuel pump, both seem to be well secured to the tank... but that a circular screen, open at one end, about 4" long and 1/5" in diameter is loose on the bottom of the tank next to the baffle. Where should this be going? And will not having it, cause any problems?

I'm thinking of taking some pictures of what I'm talking about, so if that will help, let me know.

Thanks,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Bill Miller
11-15-2002, 09:34 PM
PJ, It's not a baffle that's come loose, it's a hose that's deteriorated and subsequently lets air in. I'm guessing you only have the problem on hard r/h turns. This is a well know problem, especially w/ A1 VW's. My car has it.

There are stories of guys getting the tanks cut open, fixing the problem, and re-welding the tank. I've heard it can be done for $100 or so.

The other option is a new tank ($230 or so from JCWhitney) or a fuel cell (probably close to 3x the cost of the Whitney tank, once you factor in all the extra plumbing).

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

ITBracer54
11-16-2002, 11:03 PM
mac,
Bill is correct, and the A-1 chasis cars had a factory recall on the tanks for a while. Usually, the point where the feeder pipe exits the tank cracks or breaks all together and sucks air. some tanks were a metal pipe to a rubber hose at the exit point, some were all metal, in any case you either cut and repair or replace. trying to sleave it from the outside doesn't work either. If you want a cheaper alternative you can get a tank from a deisel rabbit or truck (the oils in the deisel usually leave the inside of the tanks pretty clean as long as it hasn't filled with water http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif and its the same tank. I have found new tanks at Gastanks.com, think they were about $175 (new) but I have a desiel in my car, works great!

Chris
#54 ITB '84 GTi

Spiro13
11-17-2002, 01:30 PM
PJ

I had the same problem on my ITC Rabbit. I was all set to put in a ATL Well Cell using some graet advice from the guys on this site.
Before I did I contacted Walt Puckett at
704-434-8046. He had the cure and it cost half of a fuel cell set-up. Even if you put in a new gas tank, you will probably still have fuel starvation when the tank gets below half. With his set-up you can run the tank dry. Hope this helps.

------------------
Tony
ITC #0