PDA

View Full Version : Rear beam bushes

JSW
11-04-2002, 12:25 AM
I was looking at the poly replacement rear beam bushes and wanted to know how to install them.. The replacements look like they are just the middle.rubber peice without the steel housing. How would I remove the old rubber--torch?? How to press in the new bushes??

machschnell
11-04-2002, 11:24 AM
For a Rabbit, it's fairly easy. The fuel pump kind of gets in the way on the pass. side, and if you're brake lines look crusty, it would be a great time to replace them, as pulling down the beam could make them worse. I put the rear of the car on jackstands, disconnected shocks from the beam and lowered them beam down using a floor jack in the middle on the beam from behind. there's 4 bolts that disconnect if from the chassis. I also replaced the long bolts that the beam pivots on, that run through the bushings - very cheap, everything else in self-explanatory.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

JSW
11-04-2002, 12:59 PM
[quote]Originally posted by machschnell:
[B]For a Rabbit, it's fairly easy.

its a golf 85

dave parker
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
The only way to go is Shine Racing's spherical bearings. Call Eli at Shine Racing.
He can give a better commercial on them than I can.
dave parker
wdcr itb#13

JSW
11-05-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by dave parker:
The only way to go is Shine Racing's spherical bearings. Call Eli at Shine Racing.
He can give a better commercial on them than I can.
dave parker
wdcr itb#13

Problem is, it is for a clubrally car. Solid suspension mounts are a no no unless you want to do major repairs after minor off's..
Any advice on how to do the poly replacement, my stock rubber bushes are literally ripped in two...

ITBracer54
11-06-2002, 09:51 PM
if i remember correctly the poly axle bushings come in 2 pieces for each side, so after you get the old rubber out, the poly just slides in from each side and there should be a center metal sleeve that the pivot bolt passes through