PDA

View Full Version : Best 1.8 8V solid lifter motor?

AchtungRacing
11-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Hi guys,

I know I've read something on this subject before, but can't seem to remember where. Any way, here's the question (subject says it all):
We're building an EP 1984 Jetta. What would be the best 1.8L 8V solid lifter motor (to start building a race motor from)?

Thanks,

------------------
Alex Blumauer (co-driver) &
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

Bill Miller
11-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Get a JH motor from an A1 GTI or a Scirocco (also some Cabbys)

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

AchtungRacing
11-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks Bill. Do you know if an HT motor has hydraulic or solid lifters. I have a line on one with a little over 100k miles on it, also can pick up a JH for the same $, but have to remove it from the car. The guy with the HT motor says it's a solid head and it came out of a 1984 GTI.

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

Bill Miller
11-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Alex,

If it's an HT, it didn't come out of an '84 GTI, at least it wasn't the original motor. I believe the HT motor was used in the late 8v Sciroccos, and that it had hydraulic lifters. I think it's essentially the same as an RD motor. Go w/ the JH, or at least get a solid lifter head.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

AchtungRacing
11-03-2002, 11:33 PM
Thanks again Bill. I went to see the HT motor and the guy still swore it was a solid lifter head, so we removed the valve cover and sure enough it was a hydraulic head. The engine looked good though, so we might buy it and search for a solid head. What's the best solid lifter, big valve head to buy (non air shroud)? Does anyone know if there are codes cast into the heads for identification and if there is a corresponding chart?

Thanks,

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

machschnell
11-04-2002, 11:29 AM
bildon.com or BSIracing.com can get you a ported, rebuilt, solid lifter head for about $400 w/ core I think.

Would this be for EP road racing?

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

AchtungRacing
11-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info PJ. Yes, it will be for a full prep EP car. I'm trying to determine what model, code or year solid lifter head is the best to start with. Digging thru older posts, I see guys referring to shrouded injectors (a bad thing I'm assuming) and big valves. Trying to climb that big learning curve. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)

Bill Miller
11-04-2002, 08:06 PM
Alex, I believe you can use either of the solid lifter heads. You just put a block-off plate over the air supply for the air shrouding (back of head, between #3 and #4). Unfortunately, I don't have any extra ones lying around.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

machschnell
11-05-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by AchtungRacing:
Thanks for the info PJ. Yes, it will be for a full prep EP car. I'm trying to determine what model, code or year solid lifter head is the best to start with. Digging thru older posts, I see guys referring to shrouded injectors (a bad thing I'm assuming) and big valves. Trying to climb that big learning curve. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

83-84 Rabbit GTIs (JH engine code) came with the biggest valves I believe, 40mm intake, 33mm exhaust if I'm not mistaken.

There is an EP Rabbit that runs in the Northeast region, the guys at briansgarage.com know him, Mark Megliola, you might even find some pics of his car and engine on the website.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

AchtungRacing
11-05-2002, 12:53 AM
Thanks Bill & PJ. I love this forum, so much great info. Hopefully one day I'll know enough to be of help to someone or be able to contribute to some discussion.

I didn't want to cross post this on the prod forum and thought this seemed to be the best place (most traffic, although I see alot of guys in both forums) to answer this question.

I wonder if Mark C. or Eric P. have read this topic? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. Not alot of info re heads on the web, at least not that I could find (and I'm pretty good at routing info out). http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys,

Alex

------------------
Mike Carrick (co-driver)

Team Achtung Racing
1984 Jetta EP (building)