PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged with carbs...

rmicroys
10-29-2002, 09:17 PM
Anybody know of any setups which have successfully ran a supercharged setup with sidedraft Webers/Mikuni carbs? I've got a G60 charger kicking around and I was thinking of tinkering with it on my 2.0l ABA 8V Mikuni carb'd racecar.

Scirocco#28
10-29-2002, 09:52 PM
I tried to find some info last year about turbocharging my sidedraft webers. It can work, they did it a lot in the 'old days' http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
I think they called it a blow through turbo. You would need to rebuild your carbs and get seals for the throttle shafts, but there are kits available, and some places even offer the rebuild service for you. Also You might need some kind of extra fueling setup, and if you run high boost you might have to look at a different style of floats, because the pressure can crush the copper ones. Just what I remember off the top of my head, I know you can make some decent power with that setup. Do a few searches and see what you can find.

Steve

------------------
87 ITB Scirocco
HighSpeed Motorsports (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

joeg
10-30-2002, 08:43 AM
Why? FI has got to be superior to carbs for this set-up.

rmicroys
11-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
Why? FI has got to be superior to carbs for this set-up.

Because I have a blower kicking around, but no FI system.

mtgmanracing
11-01-2002, 07:48 PM
A little off kilter, but I know there were a few 65 Shelby GT350s built with a blow through supercharger system. And yes the big problem is the floats. You can only run maybe 5-8#s. The price you'll pay expirimenting blowing through your carbs you'd probably be able to buy an FI setup...

just a thought...

rmicroys
11-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mtgmanracing:
The price you'll pay expirimenting blowing through your carbs you'd probably be able to buy an FI setup...

just a thought...

Very possibly. Regardless to switch to a FI system, I would need the whole computer, manifolds, throttle bodies, etc. If I really wanted to make a screamer motor - I think I would end up spending the bucks and get the TWM 2.0l 8v manifold/quad TBs, and a fully programmable standalone FI/Ignition system. I just don't have the 5000USD for that... and to think, when I have to convert my CAD to USD, it really stinks.