PDA

View Full Version : corrado info?

madrabbit15
09-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know or recall what the weight of the corrado was when it competed in SSA vs. the BMW? Does anyone recall what the weight of the BMW was in SSA? Thanks Im trying to get a comparison.

Knestis
09-15-2002, 08:13 PM
That's funny - I was thinking about the same issue about an hour ago. Did we ever hear the end of the story about what convince the CB to lower the weight of the ITS Corrado VR6?

K

(PS - I have no idea what the answer to the question is...)

madrabbit15
09-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Dont know what convinced em, I know that the car was no where near 2850, but thats never changed there minds before. But at 2680 it could have some real potential, I wanted to see what the weight was compared in SSA seeing how in gave the BMW more than a run for its money....

Bill Miller
09-15-2002, 10:34 PM
Kirk,

Sorry to say, I've never been able to get in touch w/ Sven. I've left several messages, and only had one return (which I wasn't home for). It was essentailly letting me know that he was going on vacation and wouldn't be back for 2 weeks. I was actually thinking of trying to get in touch w/ him again tomorrow. I'm really curious as to how this was done and what the justification was. Funny how the new comp. weight is well below the curb weight of the car.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

eh_tony!!!
09-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Bill, Write Sven again.. I got the same message a few back, but re-sent the letter with a polite request to give me an update.. I had something back within a few hours..

Bildon
09-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Do we have company? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

http://www.bildon.com/racing/club/its_Corrado

The official Corrado SLC curb weight that VWoA registered with the EPA for model years 1992, 1993 and 1994 is 2,808 lbs.

I think the Corrado could be one of the fastest ITS cars in a straight line.

http://www.bildon.com/racing/club/its_Corrado/images/BildonCorrado.jpg

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

Corradoracer
09-17-2002, 01:48 AM
Bill, I was under the impression you resolved this issue with Sven.

The Corrado weight was determined to be wrong by Aaron. I documented all of the work I performed on the Corrado and all the extra weight I had added to make minimum weight and still had problems. As you know to achieve this number was a monumental task.
I don’t know if Bildon knows the weight of his car? But you will find if a competitor takes the seats, sunroof, alarm, cruise control, ABS, automatic door locks, miles of vacuum hoses, wiring, vacuum pump, spare tire and insulation out. The competitor will be alarmed at how much weight is removed.

All this garbage you need to remove is for your safety because most of the stuff is all a fire hazard. If you want to run the passenger seat good luck if you roll the car it makes it very hard to get out if you are slightly over weight. Just for the record the insulation on the floor is about 70 pounds, and that does not include all that spray on tar. If any one is interested I am building another Corrado ITS car and I can tell you what you need to do.

Lastly remember all the automatic lock and alarm features of the Corrado. I am a professional Technician and it was quite a challenge for me to repair all the wiring so every thing is operational

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Corradoracer
09-17-2002, 01:52 AM
For all you English Majors,it is late and I wanted to respond fast. So sorry for all the typos.

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Bill Miller
09-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Gary,

No, I never did get an answer from Sven. Interesting that Aaron was the one to make the determination. It was my understanding that such things were sent to the IT AdHoc committee. Hmmmm....

And as far as documenting the weight being wrong, I can show you about 6" of documentation that was prepared and presented for the A1 GTI in ITB. This even inculdes a signed statement from a Divisional tech inspector that weighed several race prepared cars as well as some street cars.

The published curb weight on an '84 Rabbit GTI is 2011#. Part of the problem is that somebody screwed the pooch when these cars were in SS, and the weight was set at 1850#. Everyone knows that was wrong, and no one disputes it.

And as far as the car being too light when you remove all that stuff, the simple answer is, don't take it all out. I'm sure there are several people here that can tell you stories about having to run w/ the spare tire, etc. just to be able to make weight w/ the allowed 100# of ballast.

If 2808# was the 'official' curb weight, then the spec weight of the car should have been 2855# per 'the formula'. I really am curious as to what basis was used to determine that the weight was 'wrong' [sic], and even more, to the tune of 170#!

Called Denver yesterday, and unfortunately, Sven and everyone else are already at Mid-Ohio.

And Bildon, I agree, at 2680#, those cars should be honkin' fast (in a straight line). They should be able to rival the E36 BMW's in straight-line speed.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Knestis
09-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Okay, so let me get this straight. Gary actually got the weight lowered using the "gotta put a ton of ballast in a stripped car" argument? Geez - he's a miracle worker. Now I know who to call when I have politically unpalatable legislation that I want to pass. Legalize marijuana, anyone?

Really, I expect that it had more to do with the perception that, even almost 200# lighter, the Corrado wouldn't be a threat to the top of the ITS heap. It will be interesting to see if that assumption plays out or not and, if it doesn't, who whines and who gets more lead.

Bildon - is your car done yet? Maybe this time next year, if I get a job in your neck of the woods, we'll have to talk about that. We are looking at Western NY, PA and New England - aren't you up there somewhere?

Kirk

Bill Miller
09-17-2002, 10:53 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">It will be interesting to see if that assumption plays out or not and, if it doesn't, who whines and who gets more lead.</font>

And how would that happen? The Corrado weight was adjust under E&O, and we all know that there are no comp. adjustments in IT! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

Or, would it be a case of "We were wrong when we said we were wrong."

I really do want to hear how they justify this vis-a-vis their canned "it's been previously reviewed and is correct" response re: Rabbit GTI, especially when framed against 'The Formula'.

On another note, let's take a poll as to why the whole issue of spec weight determination won't get addressed in the Nov. FasTrack.

I vote for "We were too busy w/ the Runoffs".

BTW, Bildon is in Pittsburg.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Knestis
09-18-2002, 08:16 AM
And how would that happen? The Corrado weight was adjust under E&O, and we all know that there are no comp. adjustments in IT! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

Or, would it be a case of "We were wrong when we said we were wrong."

Uh, "yes". Er, "no". Something like that.

Knestis
10-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Just bumping this to the top to see if, umm, anyone *coughbillcough* might have heard anything new on this topic. Hmm? Anyone?
K

Bill Miller
10-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Kirk,

I did speak w/ Ken Brown about this, and he said that he would look into it and get back to me w/in a week.

On the other hand, I was told by someone else that the intial weight was probably 'calculated incorrectly'. This person also says that he is not aware of any 'formula'. My question is, if there's no formula, how the hell do you know if a 'calculation' (pretty much implies a formula) is correct or incorrect?

It's all BS. Standard tactic, don't let people know exactly how things are done, and they can't pin you down on them.

Edit: BTW, I was wrong about the Nov. FasTrack justification. They didn't have to give one, they just didn't mention it!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited October 23, 2002).]