PDA

View Full Version : Bertil's Racing Engines

rmicroys
10-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Anybody have any 411 on these guys? Website/Telephone #s? I understand that they make the US F3 VW 2.0l xflow 8V motors, the same as in my racecar. Hmmm... the possibilities...

racer_tim
10-21-2002, 10:19 AM
Phone number is 847-395-4424, web site is basically garbage.

Tim

Knestis
10-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Are you running a Golf III in ITA?

Kirk

Bill Miller
10-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Did the USF3 series actually run this year? I know they only had essentially 2 cars running last year. If you looked at the points standings from last year on their website, they had given points to folks running FF, FC, and other stuff. Hmmm, gotta go check the website.

Edit:
I'm guessing it's dead. I just checked the website, and there hasn't been an update since Feb 7, 02. They had a provisional schedule up for '02, but there are no results posted anywhere. They also had a couple of TBD dates and one listed at Rausch Creek. It's too bad. I talked to someone that saw these cars at the Glen last year. They looked to be a nice package. Hey, there's another new formula car the SCCA can introduce! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited October 21, 2002).]

rmicroys
10-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Knestis:
Are you running a Golf III in ITA?
Kirk

I run a Jetta Mk II with a 2.slow in GTC in Ontario. Currently I've got the engine running a polish & balanced stock bottom end, ARP hardware, the largest (at the time of purchase a couple years ago) Kent cam for the head, running Mikuni 44PPH side draft carbs.

I've put a bit of money in to my current motor program with the 2.0 8V and want to continue it. These guys have made strong engines out of the 2.0, so I'm interested in getting some help from them making a new motor - as I have to rebuild my current one (it blew up at my last race this year) I figure it's a good place to start at least...

I haven't seen the F3s out this year, and in 2001, I did see them at Mosport during the ALMS weekend. VERY FAST. If those motors are available, or at least if somebody can tell me what's in them to help me duplicate it, that would be great.

Rob
[email protected]

machschnell
10-22-2002, 10:46 AM
There are a couple guys who run a Bertils 1800 in a Rabbit autocross car near Denver, I've seen some pics, it's a work of art, and puts out tons of power (not sure exactly how much though).

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

rmicroys
10-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by machschnell:
There are a couple guys who run a Bertils 1800 in a Rabbit autocross car near Denver, I've seen some pics, it's a work of art, and puts out tons of power (not sure exactly how much though).

The F3 VW 8V 2.0 motors made 200 hp, and made an average of 190 from 4700rpm on up to 7800, supposedly. That's pretty potent. I know that TWM makes a quad throttle body setup for it, and there is good go-fast stuff out there. So, it is just a matter of finding out what headwork was done, who did it, pistons, rods, crank work, if any, etc... I mean sure, they may charge 10000$ for the motor lease or something... but I should be able to borrow a bit of the knowledge from the efforts... heck, maybe if the F3 series folds, they may have a few of these motors sitting there waiting to be sold now? You never know...

Bill Miller
10-22-2002, 04:38 PM
It's my understanding that those motors are leased from VW and Bertil does the prep work. There probably aren't more than a dozen or so in the country, if that many.

BTW, rumor has it that the Bertils SuperVee motors made ~180hp (1.6). Getting that much power from a small motor is not unusual. Look at the 1.6 in the Atlantics, 240hp.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608