PDA

View Full Version : A1 Jetta VIN# & Engine size

AchtungRacing
09-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what engine came in this 1984 Jetta VIN #WVWCA0165EW100693? My info says it could have been a 1715cc Gas, 1718cc 90hp 4 Cylinder or 1970cc Gas. Which one and what is a 1718cc? The previous owner has made major modifications (16V, A2 dash, vented rotors, etc)

Also, from what I understand, the rules state I can't make a model. So putting in a 1.8L 8V to make it a GLi is not allowed? I'm just across the border in Canada, but want to make my car meet SCCA rules, because I will be running more in the US. Our sanctioning body here has a similiar class to IT, but allows update/backdate "provided the body shell is otherwise identical between original and updated model and that such update is complete."

Thanks,

Alex

Eric Parham
09-18-2002, 01:46 PM
The "1718" is a misprint. It's 1780cc. I had a 1984 Jetta GL (NOT "GLI") that originally came with the 1780cc engine. I still have the VIN number in my records. These cars were actually fairly common (mine was silver with a light blue "sport" interior). When I tried to get it classified, Denver classified it, but only with the 1715cc engine! I was too busy with other projects to push the issue, but they definitely came with both. I don't recall whether it's possible to prove from the VIN alone, but the trunk label says it all!

AchtungRacing
09-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Eric. I guess I'll have to take up the fight. Hopefully someone else in this forum has some ideas. Unfortunately the trunk lid decal now has a 16V on it. Just another thing the previous owner changed.

Thanks again,

Alex

Bill Miller
09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
I've never seen an A1 Jetta that came w/ a 1.8 that's anything other than a GLI (that's not to say that they don't exist, just that I've never seen one). It was my understanding that the '84 GLI (only year they were made, A1's that is) was supposed to be the 'sedan' version of the GTI. Had all the GTI goodies, 1.8 JH motor, close ratio 5-spd, 14" 'snowflake' wheels, vented rotors, etc., etc. But, since the Jettas were made in Europe and the GTI's were made in Pa, and since VW has been known to mix and match parts (especially when they're changing model platforms), I guess there could be 1.8 A1 Jetta GL's.

Eric, did yours have a JH motor?

And Alex, I'm just about 100% certain that they never came w/ 2 liter motors.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

AchtungRacing
09-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Bill,

I'm sure the 1984 Jetta never came w/ 2L motor, but the information I found online re decoding the VIN # listed the 3 engine sizes in my original post. My problem is the car has been heavily modified. It has a 89 Scirocco 16V, A2 dash, GTi seats, vented rotors, FF tranny (original tranny I think?), etc. It's a 2 door and is in excellent shape.

The reason I asked my original question, was I would like to put a JH engine into the car and run it in ITB, if the car was available with a 1.8L engine? Would the dash be a problem? There would be no performance advantage, it's probably heavier?

Thought I would be different and run a 2 door A1 Jetta in IT and get some relatively cheap seat time before moving into another car for GT (build a tube frame car).

I only have the 2000 SCCA Regs. Where does the 1984 Jetta GLi or 1984 Jetta w/ 1.8L get classed and what is the weight and other info from that line?

AchtungRacing
09-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Eric Parham:
The "1718" is a misprint. It's 1780cc. I had a 1984 Jetta GL (NOT "GLI") that originally came with the 1780cc engine. I still have the VIN number in my records. These cars were actually fairly common (mine was silver with a light blue "sport" interior). When I tried to get it classified, Denver classified it, but only with the 1715cc engine! I was too busy with other projects to push the issue, but they definitely came with both. I don't recall whether it's possible to prove from the VIN alone, but the trunk label says it all!

Eric, if you don't mind and have the time? Could you dig up any info relating to my problem (your VIN # from your 1984 1.8L GL Jetta and anything from when you were dealing with Denver)

Thanks for the help so far.

Alex

Greg Amy
09-18-2002, 06:30 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Does anyone know what engine came in this 1984 Jetta VIN #WVWCA0165EW100693?</font>

Engine Code "EN" (1715cc "1.7-liter")

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">it could have been a 1715cc Gas, 1718cc 90hp 4 Cylinder or 1970cc Gas.</font>

The USA never got those last two engine options.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">[B]So putting in a 1.8L 8V to make it a GLi is not allowed?[B]</font>

Correct. The VIN gives it away. You will be tossed on protest.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">[B]I had a 1984 Jetta GL (NOT \"GLI\") that originally came with the 1780cc engine.?[B]</font>

I was a Parts/Service Manager for a VW dealership during those model years. I don't know what you have there, but I assure you that VWoA never sold a 1.8L in 1984 in anything but the GTi and GLi.

Caveat: VW had a history of putting subsequent-model parts on the last-gasp production runs of cars. I never saw a 1.8-powered GL in all my years of working on these cars (and I paid attention); if you do have a 1.8-powered non-GLi from VWoA it's a low-volume production anomoly and cannot be approved for SCCA in that form.

I'd love to see your VIN. (Note if you have "XXX" in there anywhere it was not imported by VWoA...)

GregA

Eric Parham
09-20-2002, 11:50 PM
I just had a chance to quickly catch up on this thread. A few quick answers:

1) I was talking about the paper trunk label that's glued to the floor or wheelwell area, usually under the mat. I was NOT talking about the trunk emblem. The 1.8L says "JH" on this label, while the 1.7L says "EN".

2) My 1984 Jetta GL absolutely came with a 1.8L "JH" engine, and I've seen others that did as well. I will dig up the VIN number. It probably doesn't matter much whether or not you start with a GL that happened to come with a 1.8L or a GLI, since I believe that the VINs would decode the same way, and probably different than a 1.7 (base models and some GLs?) for 1984.

3) Yes, the engine code for my 1984 silver Jetta GL with blue courduroy interior was "JH", and it also came with the close-ratio "4K", according to both the trunk label and the actual equipment.

4) The engine sizes listed in the first post (i.e., 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0L), as I recall, are what VWs generic VIN decoder gives for particular combinations of model year and VIN letter code. Unfortunately, the particular 2.0L listed (1970cc?) was an aircooled Vanagon engine, and NEVER installed in any Jetta (by VW, anyway).

5) If the VINs are the same, I don't care if Denver wants to call a GL a GLI, but either way, it DID come with a 1781cc (1.8L) "JH" engine.

6) If I didn't already mention it, I WILL dig up the VIN this weekend...

7) Hmmm, the weight looks pretty good. Maybe it IS worth getting them to recognize the correct engine for the car!

8) BTW, the "FF" wide-ratio and very-wide-ratio trannies (2 versions) were only sold in 1980 and 1981, so they would NOT have been original in ANY 1984 car.

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited September 21, 2002).]

AchtungRacing
09-21-2002, 12:13 AM
Thanks again Eric.

After responding to your reply, I clued into the fact that you meant the paper trunk label (posting before thinking http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I hate when that happens.) The engine code shows that it was an EN 1.7L.

The question still remains. Will Denver be persuaded to recognize the 1.8L in a base or GL Jetta? So I can go racing. Damn it! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Here are the actual #'s from the trunk label:

Chassis: 1027 42-4-0138 999 KN
WVWCA0165EW100693
Type: 161 F42
Eng. Code: EN 7A
Paint No.: LP7V ZG
Options: D13 560 619 715

Is anyone able to shed some light on these #'s?

Thanks to everyone who has replied,

Alex

Bill Miller
09-21-2002, 12:09 PM
You can write to Denver and ask them to classify the car. I have no idea which why they'll go. Since it's an already classed car, but w/ a different engine/trans, they might go ahead and add it. On the other hand they might pull out the 'lack of interest' BS and not classify it. My gut tells me they won't classify it because they won't know where to set the weight, and I doubt they want to get into any more VW weight issues.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Eric Parham
09-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Just dug through my files. The VIN for my 1984 model year VW Jetta GL that originally came with the 1.8L "JH" engine is: WVWGB0160EW109803.

[Edited by deleting "(made in 1983)" reference since that seems to be a tax-related error on the registration receipt - EP]

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited September 24, 2002).]

Greg Amy
09-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Eric Parham:
Just dug through my files. The VIN for my 1984 model year (made in 1983) VW Jetta GL that originally came with the 1.8L "JH" engine is: WVWGB0160EW109803.

Interesting. My JH-equipped 1984 Rabbit GTi had a VIN engine code (5th digit) of "C"...yours is a "B" indicating an engine of lower horsepower than my GTi...

Regardless, if you have a trunk production sticker with JH and 4K then you have a factory-built car, most likely a production anomoly (did VW run out of 1.7s and decide to finish up the run with JH engines and 4K trannys? I wouldn't be surprised.)

I sincerely doubt the car would be approved for IT in that configuration (I'm concerend about the "B" code for the engine); if it was approved it would no doubt be classified in ITB with the rest of the 1.8L models.

Interesting info, thanks for passing it along. You learn something new each day...

GregA

Bill Miller
09-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Greg,

That theory about 'running out' of the 1.7 motors is probably pretty close to being what happened. Since the Rabbits were built here, I'm guessing that that's where the last of the supply was. Things were changing from a platform perspective, and the 1.7 was no longer going to be used, so I can see where the last of the '84 production run got the JH motors and close ratio boxes, since those were going to continue to be used in the Sciroccos and Cabriolets past the '84 model year. Kind of like the late 8v Sciroccos getting the HT motor.

Yep, cool to learn something new about VW's!