PDA

View Full Version : *******Best Race Shocks????......*********

aburchell44
09-10-2002, 06:46 AM
I have a 1992 2 Door golf I picked up for 600CDN (Like $20 US http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif )

Ill be honest I have a VR6 and a 16V that I have dumped alot of money into and I want to see how cheap I can build this car so please take that into account.

I want to go Bilsteins, Tockico, or Konis.
I want to Auto X the car at first but May eventually race (ITB) the car. So I dont want to but 2 sets of shocks. I was going to get KYBs but those wont do the trick.

I have Ractive coilovers and am getting stiffer springs to use with the Ractive sleeves. I plan on using the Ractives 250 or 275 rates springs for the street and then get some race ones.

A few questions:

1./2. Whats the best type of spring and shock to use and where is the cheapest place to get them in Canada? Or the US?

Thanks
Andrew

[This message has been edited by aburchell44 (edited September 10, 2002).]

Eric Parham
09-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Some like Konis, I like Bilsteins. Unfortunately, Bilstein only makes off-the-shelf adjustables for the latest Golf IV (don't know if they retrofit to Golf II). For all non-adjustables (including the Rallye/Race models), a revalve is necessary for spring rates above about 400 lbs/inch (and most of us run over 600). This only costs about $55 per strut through Bilstein, but also requires shipping and a few weeks of downtime.