PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar options on A1?

tripleGO 2
08-18-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm building a rabbit gti for itb and am curious as to what rear swaybar set-ups others are running and liking or hating.

Any response is appreciated.....

dave......

------------------
racing in memory of my brother, Seth.

Bill Miller
08-19-2002, 06:37 AM
I run a dual-bar rear setup (w/ no front bar). I use a Shine-style and a BSI-style and I've been happy w/ the way the car works. There are others that subscribe to a different philosophy, but I've been happy w/ this.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

moliver
08-19-2002, 08:19 AM
I thought that the BSI and the Shine bars were of the same style.

Anyone have pics of both for comparison?

The BSI bar that I have but have yet to install is a round bar with square ends that fit into a couple machined blocks that bolt on the bottom of the rear beam.

How does Shines work?

Thanks

Bill Miller
08-19-2002, 09:54 AM
That is the way the BSI bar mounts. Makes it easy if you want to change bars to change rates.

The Shine bar is a straight bar (tube) that has to flat mounting plates at the end. These attach to the bottom gussets on the axle.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

machschnell
08-19-2002, 02:40 PM
I use a BSI bar too, but have often wondered if an adjustable 'U' shaped tubular bar would be better for dialing in more/less spring rate in the rear for handling. I know Autotech makes one, but it's not adjustable with different 'settings' per se.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

mogren
08-25-2002, 11:07 PM
I use a adjustable bar that slides in and out of tubes,at the control arms. The tubes have sinch bolts to stop it. The cross tube is hollow 1" and the end tubes are a snug fit into the slider adjusters. Be careful where you mount it as stuff can get in the way . It looks good until you set the car down and hits things. The closer you can get it to the hub, the more support there is laterely. A hammer helps.
I use a soft bar because I run a welded diff, and rear toe out, and the car went bigtime loose(with a big bar). Very good like this tho. This is a Rocco , Rabbit may need more bar. My car just barely pics up the tire. If the front tire is up than the rear is also.MM