PDA

View Full Version : Stronger outer CV joints?

MiniStocker
07-23-2002, 01:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a stronger CV joint than the 90mm outer ones that my standard Golf came with. I've broken 2 of them in 7 nights of racing. Are the GTI 100mm ones a big improvement or don't they really make much difference? I haven't had any problems with my inner CV, It's just my RF outer CV. I would like to retain my axle shaft if possible, so I was wondering if the 100mm CV would slide on like the 90's. Or does anyone know if stronger ones are available that fit other vehicles (larger cars, audis, minivans, etc).

Thanks,
Scott

Bill Miller
07-23-2002, 03:50 PM
Scott,

90mm and 100mm refer to the sizes of the drive flanges on the tranny that the inner CV's attach to. I believe that you can get beefier out CV's, and they will fit onto the same axle shaft, but you will need different knuckles/hubs/wheel bearings as they are different.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

machschnell
07-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by MiniStocker:
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a stronger CV joint than the 90mm outer ones that my standard Golf came with. I've broken 2 of them in 7 nights of racing. Are the GTI 100mm ones a big improvement or don't they really make much difference? I haven't had any problems with my inner CV, It's just my RF outer CV. I would like to retain my axle shaft if possible, so I was wondering if the 100mm CV would slide on like the 90's. Or does anyone know if stronger ones are available that fit other vehicles (larger cars, audis, minivans, etc).

Thanks,
Scott

Not sure if they'd be able to help you, or if it would fall within the rules of whatever racing you do, but the 'hardcore' vw forum guys use: http://www.driveshaftshop.com/vwpage.ivnu

for their axles. 'Course they also submit the drivetrain to much more abuse (forced induction, wide slicks, sidestepping the clutch).

HTH,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

nascarvw
08-05-2002, 06:17 PM
I run a rabbit on a 1/2 mile dirt track here in FLORIDA. I was busting CV's also, until I switched to the shortened axles that BSI RACING has. It lets the CV run more true in the cages, and I haven't had anymore problems ever. When the car is lowered a bunch like I have it, it sets the CV offset in the cages, which makes it brake often.
Call them guys and ask them their opinion, I'm sure it will help you out bunches!

nascarvw
08-07-2002, 11:09 AM
That's BREAK, not BRAKE!
Thanks for the point out Mr. PHELPS!
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Eric Parham
08-15-2002, 06:12 PM
The stronger Golf hubs (88-92) can take exactly the same CVs as the weaker (85-88) hubs, and vise-versa (the hub splines are the same). I have never broken a CV in several years of road racing (but I maintain them well), but I break plenty of them ice racing (much more extreme steering angles coupled with rapidly changing traction conditions). The 100mm inner joints ARE paired with heavier duty outer joints. I refer to them as 100mm, but haven't actually measured them. Unfortunately, the shafts ARE different. It would be a terrible idea to put a big outer joint on a shaft that ORIGINALLY came with a 90mm inner joint because the bigger outer joint is also LONGER, as is the 100mm inner. The 90mm outer joints are also used for some formula cars, so much higher quality is available for a price! An alternative that DOES work is to use the SHAFT from the bigger joints, and mount the smaller 90mm joints on it. This doesn't make anything any stronger, but it does result in a slightly shorter shaft to compensate for extreme negative camber, etc. Unfortunately, the drawback is that the hybrid shaft is able to slide more than either of the stock shafts, and CAN be pulled out of the outer joint and/or pummel the flange seal on the tranny drive flange. Is that more than you wanted to know??? Hope it helps http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Eric Parham
08-16-2002, 12:18 PM
I guess I just assumed that you knew this, but just in case you didn't, it's easy to replace the output flanges on the tranny in order to use the complete heavier-duty 100mm CV & shaft assemblies. The tranny can stay in the car, and you just need a long c-clamp to hold the flanges while you work the circlips.