PDA

View Full Version : 84 Rabbit GTI problems

Big Money Mike
07-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Car studders when on or off the throttle, not like a miss, but kinda like a jolt. If you give it light throttle, it smooths out. Also, if you take your foot off the gas and then hit it good it jolts like a mount is broke. Could broken mounts be causing all of this?

Mike

racerdrew43
07-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Clutch?????

joeg
07-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Inner CV Joint?

Big Money Mike
07-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Ive driven the car the past few days and it doesnt seem to be bucking as described above. But, it still jolts like a broken mount when you stab the gas. Should I start by replacing mounts?

Bill Miller
07-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Big Money Mike:
Ive driven the car the past few days and it doesnt seem to be bucking as described above. But, it still jolts like a broken mount when you stab the gas. Should I start by replacing mounts?

Not necessarily, but you should start by checking them all http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Big Money Mike
07-13-2002, 07:21 PM
UPDATE....

I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor this morning. The miss is gone, the idle is smoother, the damn car feels like it has 10hp now. It feels like its sucking wind and doesnt want to go. What now?

Mike Breen
84 GTI

Corradoracer
07-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Mike,

Start from the basics. Check base cam timing make sure Dist. is clocked properly, rotor to the mark on dist. housing. Check ignition wiring location, verification of proper routing is importent. Check mechanical and vacuum advance if applicable. Set base timing. Road test. If problem persist check fuel system. Check wiring harness.

Remember TEST DON'T GUESS

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Big Money Mike
07-16-2002, 06:01 PM
I checked everything again last night with the cap and rotor. The rotor only fits on the distributor one way, correct? The metal piece you press the rotor on to has a slot cut out of it, and the rotor has a nothc that fits in that slot, which leads me to believe that that is the only way for it to go on. I dont get how it ran fine Saturday morning when I drove a mile to my parents house, and then runs like crap 30 minutes later after a tune up.

Thanks! keep the help coming.

machschnell
07-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Big Money Mike:
The rotor only fits on the distributor one way, correct?

Yes, only one way.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Campbell
07-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Mike,
Do you have a spare distributor? if so throw it in, they can do odd things when they start to break down.

Big Money Mike
07-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Started the car last night to try to fix it. Noticed a small puddle under passenger side door.... GAS! I think the problem is probably low fuels pressure due to a worn out section of 2" rubber hose in the fuel line. The motors starving.

machschnell
07-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Uh-oh, those lines are not cheap new. Do not buy them from the dealer!

Though I was able to get some pretty good deals on the two lines, one from thepartsbin.com and the other from vwparts.com. I searched all over good, used ones, but didn't find any. Spent about $50-60 for new ones. Let me know if you need help, I can dig up the part #s.

PJ
[email protected]

------------------

machschnell
07-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by machschnell:
Uh-oh, those lines are not cheap new. Do not buy them from the dealer!

Though I was able to get some pretty good deals on the two lines, one from thepartsbin.com and the other from vwparts.com. I searched all over good, used ones, but didn't find any. Spent about $50-60 for new ones. Let me know if you need help, I can dig up the part #s.

PJ
[email protected]

Oops, just realized you said 'rubber' hose... might not be that bad at all if it's the section of hose that feeds the pump. That little guy cost me about a dollar at NAPA ;-)

PJ

------------------

Big Money Mike
08-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Plug wires... Those damn, dirty, little wires were on the wrong nubs of the distributor. THe Haynes manual I have shows 3 diagrams for the wires and none of them were right. It turns out that the proper set up is not shown in the manual, so I drew it in there for future reference.

Now, Its still surging at idle like it was before though. Any ideas there? Could it be vaccum lines? Mine are pretty old and need to be replaced. Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

------------------
Mike Breen
84 VW Rabbit GTI