PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit GTI, Golf 8v & 16v Weight

Corradoracer
07-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Bill did you call sven?
To the rest of you VW racers why is the weight for the VW Golf 16v in ITA lower than the weight for ITB Golf? What should the weights be for both cars? Is the VW Rabbit in ITB the proper weight?

Please give input

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Bill Miller
07-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Gary,

I called and got his voice mail. I left a message but haven't heard back yet.

This should be an interesting topic! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
07-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Any news come out of the conversation re: precedent set by the Corrado weight change? Hmm? Share, dangit.

Kirk

Bill Miller
07-13-2002, 08:36 PM
Kirk,

You know as soon as I hear anything from Sven, I'll pass it along! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

OTLimit
07-15-2002, 09:38 AM
If you go back in the GCR a few years and consult some Fastracks, I think you will find out that the ITA weight has been corrected in Fastrack in the past, and then not carried over to the next GCR. If no one complains, it won't get raised again.

OTOH, we could tell them that the ITA weight is correct. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then maybe we'll get a better weight for the B cars.

Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

Bill Miller
07-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Lesley, I looked at the last 3 GCRs (00, 01, and 02), and they all have the same weight listed for the ITA 16V Golf.

That's a pretty sad comment if FasTrack changes don't make it into the next year's GCR.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

OTLimit
07-17-2002, 09:57 AM
Bill,
I think you have to go back further than that. I have them all, and will try to find the corrected weight.

Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

racer_tim
07-17-2002, 07:53 PM
What kills me, is that the 83-84 VW GTI in ITB trim, weighs 2,180 and the same car, in Limited Prep GP weighs 2,165.

I removed the bumpers and the heater core / AC and was @ 2,038. I had to add 125 lbs of ballast.

I still have the original sunroof installed, and have only done about 1/3 of the sound deadening material removal.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

madrabbit15
07-17-2002, 08:42 PM
racer tim,

im sorry but i dont think im even gonna touch that comment as, i dont want to walk outside the house and kill the first person i see........

Bill Miller
07-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Tim,

I know the l-p GP GTI only weighs 15# less than the ITB car, but it's my understanding that the Prod weights have nothing to do w/ the IT weights, even though they're damn close. The story I got, was that the spec weight for the l-p GP GTI was set based on the performance potential of the car as it related to the other cars in the class. It seems to be a bit on the high side, which is one of the reasons why I decided against a l-p GP GTI and have decided to go w/ a l-p HP Rabbit or Scirocco.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

racer_tim
07-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Bill, I think that I'll go with the solid rotors and the 1.6 for next year, and be much better off in HP. I currently only have the 13x6 rims, so there shouldn't be much problem converting from GP to HP.

With that said, I now have to get to 1,900 lbs. I was 2,038 with the 1.8 motor, and I don't think that there is 138 lbs difference between the 1.8 and 1.6 motor.

Oh well, I guess that the car will go on a "diet" this winter. I myself have gone from 240 to 225 lbs, so I guess that I'm not the only one with a "overweight problem"

Thanks

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Bill Miller
07-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Just to let you guys know, the latest FasTrack is up on the SCCA site.

http://www.scca.org/news/tech/club_racing/index.html

Big news, looks like Mr. Zaslow and Mr. Ketchie may actually get the CB to finally open up on how they determine IT weights! Way to go guys!!!! And thanks!!!

The request is:

"Review VW Rabbit weights in IT and document how weights are arrived at."

Response is:

"Tabled to Adv. Comm. to review and give input on calculating appropriate weights for cars."

This is huge, and has implications for all of IT. We may finally get them to divulge 'the formula', and it may be the first step towards setting some kind of standard for determining weights. Again, way to go guys!!!!!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
07-19-2002, 11:14 PM
Hmm. Verrrry interesting! Good job, guys...

Kirk

Bill Miller
07-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Just an FYI, looks like Sven is on vacation until August.
------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited July 24, 2002).]

Joe Craven
07-22-2002, 07:43 PM
Funny, the NASA GTI Cup cars are spec'd to weight 2080 lbs with driver. These cars are close to ITB trim and many of the cars need weight added to them to get to 2080. The bad news is that I'll have to add approx another 100 lbs to race it at SCCA.

Bill Miller
07-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Joe,

Better start adding that weight to the driver. If you're already adding weight, and your 100# short, it's going to be tough to make weight as you're only allowed to add 100# of ballast. I'd suggest extra tubes in your cage (lots of 'em!).

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

lateapex911
07-23-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
.......it's my understanding that the Prod weights have nothing to do w/ the IT weights, even though they're damn close. The story I got, was that the spec weight for the l-p GP GTI was set based on the performance potential of the car as it related to the other cars in the class.....

Seems to me that thats the way they should do it in IT as well! Otherwise we'll have the stock autocross classing problem of "this years hot car" forever!

In a way i don't care HOW they set the weight, I just want them to set it so that the car can be competitive! And I feel that they should be allowed to change that as needed....(the dreaded competition adjustment!)

Of course, the method seems pretty mysterious when you look at some of the weights they come up with!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
[email protected]