PDA

View Full Version : GTI VR6

bbp
06-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Has anyone looked into this car for IT? I haven't seen it classed yet.

Whats the potential for a VR6 GTI?

racer_tim
06-13-2002, 12:22 PM
I'd guess that it would be in ITS, and probably not very competitive against the 240Z and the 2nd Gen Mazda Rx7.

Heck, the TR8 is classified in ITS, but I haven't seen any being built.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

JP32
06-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Tim,
There is a Jetta VR6 in New England that does very well up against everything BUT the damn BMW's, He is really just getting the car dialed in and when he is done I think the will do quite well against even the 325's. I run a '92 2.0 16v GTI (a Shine car) and my car does extremely well also aganst all the other cars in the class. The BMW's seem to be the car to have up here in the North-east. :-)

Jeff

Originally posted by racer_tim:
I'd guess that it would be in ITS, and probably not very competitive against the 240Z and the 2nd Gen Mazda Rx7.

Heck, the TR8 is classified in ITS, but I haven't seen any being built.

JeffYoung
06-13-2002, 08:52 PM
One TR8 coming up. Building one now, about 80% done. SeDiv. Looking forward to getting lapped by the Mazdas, fastest ITS cars down here.

Knestis
06-13-2002, 10:52 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I run a '92 2.0 16v GTI...</font>

Hey, Jeff. Any race results yet from NER this season? Hope you are having a great spring!

Kirk

www.2litre.itgo.com (http://www.2litre.itgo.com)

Corradoracer
06-26-2002, 03:32 AM
Start with SCCA, get the weight to a reasonable level. 2650-2700 is about the proper weight. The other problem like my Corrado you are goint to struggle with sheet metal parts. Part are very expensive and hard to come by in some parts of the country.
Tires and wheels can be a problem. Panasport is the only company that makes proper offset and their wheel are specially manufactured for VW Vr6 type cars. Their wheels won't come loose(trust me on this). Tire wear is a big issue and hope you have deep pockets. I don't want to sound sarcastic, but I race a Corrado Vr6 and with 68% of the weight at the front wheels, tire wear is a problem. I recommend you call me for futher info.

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Bill Miller
06-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Gary,

Were you the one that got the Corrado weight reduced?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Corradoracer
06-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Bill, yes, it was a long fight two year fight.

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS

Knestis
06-28-2002, 12:55 PM
(This should be interesting - stay tuned!)

Bill Miller
06-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Gary,

If you don't want to talk about it in an open forum, please contact me off-line

[email protected]

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Corradoracer
07-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Bill,

What other information would you like? Send me a list.

Gary

Bill Miller
07-01-2002, 10:56 PM
Gary,

I'm just curious as to what evidence you presented to the CB to get them to change the weight. Give me your email address, and I'll contact you off-line. It's my understanding, that several people gather just about every possible piece of data on the Rabbit GTI, including having a licensed Tech inspector weigh a few race cars as well as a street cars. The end result was that the weight was reduced by 50#, even though the data indicated that it should have been reduced by closer to 3x that amount.

Even though several people have recently requested that the weight be changed, the pat answer is that it has 'been previously reviewed, and is correct as specified'. Yet, all attempts I've made to find out what basis that determination was based on have yielded essentially 'It was done so long ago, and the people involed aren't around any more, and neither is the data they used.'

My email is [email protected]

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
07-01-2002, 11:18 PM
If, between you, you can come up with some indication of a process or standard at work, please feel free to post it for the benefit of the rest of us? Please?

Good luck!

Kirk

Corradoracer
07-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Bill, contact me @ [email protected]
Or call 805 965-6142 work

------------------
Gary Semerdjian
#98 Corrado ITS