PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Shifter?

Jack2002
06-09-2002, 06:47 PM
I have a 1980 Scirocco and was wondering if there was an aftermarket shifter available for it? There is a lot of play in the shifter and linkage. I know of the linkage bushing kits but not the shifter itself itself.

Another related question, is the VW 5 speed transmission (from the same car) prone to breakage?

Thanks in advance.

God Bless
Jack Weigand

------------------
http://www.jackweigand.com

[This message has been edited by Jack2002 (edited June 09, 2002).]

racer_tim
06-09-2002, 08:04 PM
If the linkage is "loose" the rebuild kit works wonders. I did one last year, and I couldn't beleive the difference. I also did a short shift kit too, but there has been debates as to it's legality. I'm running the car in Limited Prep GP now, so I solved that problem.

Another related question, is the VW 5 speed (from the same car) prone to breakage?

Jack, the shifter of the tranny? You'll go through at least twice as many hubs as you will boxes in any of the A1 or A2 cars.

BSI and Shine both offer winter "refresh" for around $500, but a box should last at least a couple of years before a rebuild.

I broke a box auto-xing, but that puts a whole lot more strain on the ENTIRE drive train. I broke twice as many parts chasing cones that I have road racing.

My $0.02 worth

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Knestis
06-09-2002, 08:27 PM
You might want to replace the bits in the linkages, depending on exactly how they are designed for your year/model of VW. A lot of them use plastic ends/joints that wear and a little slop at the ends will translate into a bunch of movement at the end of the shifter.

My understanding is that the shift lever is free but anything below the floor is supposed to be as delivered. The "shift kits" that I have seen change the relative location of the pivot, at the bottom of the shifter, so they would not be legal.

Finally, it is not necessary to beat up the gearbox to go fast. A stock box will only shift so fast and trying to engage gears by pushing harder is tough on parts. I have heard drivers make some HORRIBLE sounds with their gearboxes out on the track. Please, be gentle...

K

Kirk

Bildon
06-09-2002, 09:46 PM
>>was wondering if there was an aftermarket shifter available for it?

Pretty sure there is not anymore. There was a Hurst way back in the day.

>>is the VW 5 speed (from the same car) prone to breakage?

Not "prone to it".

>>You'll go through at least twice as many hubs as you will boxes in any of the A1 or A2 cars.

Only the A1 cars have this problem. Use of the late A2 (Corrado type) hubs solves the breakage problem.

>>the shift lever is free but anything below the floor is supposed to be as delivered.

Unless this is a 2002 change, the shifter must remain stock.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

Jack2002
06-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Thanks to everyone. I will try replacing the bushings to see if that will tighten it up. This is a new car to me and I am being "very" gentle with it, LOL! OK great, thanks again.

God Bless
Jack Weigand

------------------

dave parker
06-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Jack
When we built our 85 Golf gti we bought the Neuspeed kit(Bushings,Balls,Everything that breaks or wears out) for about 125.00. It worked so well we put that same kit in our two street cars. Big difference. Buy the tool from Schele(??) to align the whole works and be done with it.

Worth what it cost
dave parker
wdcritb#13

Jack2002
06-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Dave,
Do you have any further info on the tool? I will get in touch with Neuspeed today but the tool may be the most important thing for me. Any help would be great. Thanks again.

God Bless
Jack Weigand

------------------

machschnell
06-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Jack2002:
Dave,
Do you have any further info on the tool?

Not sure if Dave Parker means the tool for adjusting the spacing of the shifter lever from beneath the car, directly below the shifter box... I've read that the thickest portion of a cassette tape is the same as the proper spacing for this - the Bentley details this procedure - but the tool he mentions might make it easier to hold the spacing while you tighten the linkages.

hope this helps,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Bill Gotwalt
06-10-2002, 06:01 PM
invest the 39.95 for the shifter from J C Whitney---you won't BELIEVE how good it is

dave parker
06-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Jack
this tool goes over the top of the shifter and sits down on the "tunnel". It is designed to hold all the linkages in the neutral position to allow you to set all the works perfectly. Bought one about tweleve years ago and I don't know if it is still available. The company that makes it is the Schely Tool Company in SoCal. I'll try do more research on this for you.
??a cassette tape??

dave parker
wdcritb#13

Jack2002
06-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Dave,
That would be great. I am in the Pistolsmithing business and I will use a tool for any job I can, so much easier. We actually manufacture tools for the Firearms business. OK cool, if you can find that address I will get one ordered.

God Bless
Jack Weigand

------------------

Ryan Williams
06-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Jack, I made some aluminum spacers to set the Shift Finger to Gate Clearance. The gear shift finger is at the bottom of the shift lever, and the clearance I am referring to is between the shift lever finger and the stop gate (boxy bracket under the shifter assembly).

The Shift Finger to Gate clearance for a 4-speed is 51/64 inches (20mm) and for a 5-speed is 19/32 (15mm). I machined some spacers to these dimensions.

Just center the Shift Finger in the middle of the stop gate and use the appropriate spacer, tightening the shift rod locknut.

Without new bushings in the entire shift mechanism, smooth shifting is almost impossible to achieve. Good luck, Ryan.

Jack2002
06-17-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks. I came into my shop Saturday and made a tool from the description in the Bently manuel. The tool worked great and problem solved. I made it adjustable so it would work with either the 4 speed or 5 speed transmission. Thanks for all of the help.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

------------------
ITC Scirocco #48