PDA

View Full Version : A2 Suspension/Brake Questions

opel racer
06-05-2002, 06:42 PM
I am in the process of building an '86 GTI for autocross use with the intention of eventually building up an ITB car. I have about $1000 to spend this year (with a kid on the way, I'm on a tight budget) on brakes and suspension mods. Could you guys give me some specific suggestions on spring/shock/struts, rear sway bar and brake set-up that would fit my tight budget? All mods I make need to be consistent with equiptment that would be used on an IT car. In other words, I don't want to have to buy anything twice. Any suggestions/input would be GREATLY appreciated!!! -chris

Bildon
06-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Opel,

Brakes:
Stock VW is all you can run so save money there. Don't touch the rears. Put Hawk Blues on the front and you are done. Check the hoses...replace with braided teflon hoses only if the original hoses appear old and cracked.

Suspension:
OK, with the $900 you have left you should focus on the front struts. Replace the control arm bushings as they will fail after a few events if they are original. Even if they don't fail...accurate alignemtn will be impossible without firm bearings. Stock is fine at first (but Motorsport hard rubber is another way to go if you can't afford spherical bearings)

Then get a set of Bilstein race front struts or perhaps Koni inserts and a coil over kit for height adjustment.

In the rear you might not have money left over for the shocks but you should put a set of stiff springs on it and here's a cheap trick for the sway bar....find yourself some 4" box steel "tubing" with a thick wall (about 1/8") cut a length of it (about 2') Bolt it into the rear axle beam on the "front side" where the axle beam is "U" shaped.
Cranking the bolts down tighter will give more roll stiffness...looseneing them will give less roll stiffness.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

dave parker
06-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Brakes,
Hawk Blue on the front and the softest rear pad you can find.Braided steel lines.

Suspension,
Shine Racing Service spherical bearings all the way around, 500 pound front springs and 400 pound rear springs. Bilstiens,full race front and rear.

Seat time,Seat time,Seat time.

Can we spend any more of your money?
dave parker
wdcritb#13