PDA

View Full Version : the best way to tie down a golf

spike
06-04-2002, 09:35 PM
I am going to tie down my golf to my new
trailer for the first time this weekend.
I could use some advice what would be the
best way.

Bill Miller
06-04-2002, 10:05 PM
I cross the tiedowns to form an "X". I use the tow eyes on the bumper mounts in the back and I wrap the straps around the lower stress bar in the front.

HTH.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
06-04-2002, 11:46 PM
I too like the X approach, since the straps pull against one another and hold the car from side-to-side as well as down onto the trailer.

However, be aware that, if one strap does come loose, that same side pull will loosen the remaining strap on that end pretty much right away - so keep an eye on them.

Kirk

(Who has lost two race cars off of trailers, and one trailer off of a truck. All of the above sucked.)

itbgti
06-05-2002, 09:07 AM
Use the X approach, here are the best locations.

Front: On the body tow hooks just past the subframe, behind the front wheels...These are eye hooks and VERY strong as they are attached to the body.

Rear: Two choices..you could go to the rear axle, but I do not due to the tow straps could slide or catch a brake line and that it is a pain in the butt to get them there. The ones I use are the ones under the car, near where the stock muffler would be...they look like bent over metal with a hole in it.

I also throw a chain through my front tow hook and attach it loosely to the trailer. This is the last resort if all else fails.

I hope this was the type of post you were looking for

Alan

machschnell
06-05-2002, 11:11 AM
What's the consensus on leaving the car in gear for towing, 1st gear, 5th gear, no gear, handbrake?

As cheap as new tie-downs seem to be, though I have no vehicle towing experience, it seems it would be a good idea to have 2 tie-downs for every corner of the car, one to backup the other.

I can image dropping a car off a trailer at speed, would really suck... I'm picturing the commercial where the new GTI falls out of the tree - but with more damage.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

itbgti
06-05-2002, 11:31 AM
I actually was going to ask the gear question myself...

I was told never to tie the car down while in gear, stress on the components, but once the car is situated, put it in gear, that much more safety from it rolling off the trailer...As for the number of straps, I am one for safety, so the more tie downs the better, but the safety chain I use will be plenty, the car will NOT break that chain, but it is easy enough to take on and off.

Alan

Bill Miller
06-05-2002, 11:41 AM
I don't leave the car in gear or put the e-brake on when it's tied down.

PJ, the 2" tiedowns are fine, and are rated at 10,000#

BTW, I didn't see you at Summit Point, what happened?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

machschnell
06-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
I don't leave the car in gear or put the e-brake on when it's tied down.

PJ, the 2" tiedowns are fine, and are rated at 10,000#

BTW, I didn't see you at Summit Point, what happened?

My plan all along was to come down on June 15th, but I had forgotten that was Father's Day weekend, and now I'm in the middle of redoing the kitchen. I swear I'll be down for a race this year, I may even make it for a FATT later in the year, they're booked up for the next few months.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Knestis
06-08-2002, 02:33 AM
In both cases when the car left the trailer (once partially and once completely), the hooks on the end of our 10,000# tie-downs straightened out due to low-tongue weight divergent oscillating instability (aka "speed wobs").

Thinking back on it, the look on the face of the guy in the mini truck behind us, when faced with a demon red RX7 sliding down the freeway sans driver, must have been priceless. The brake WAS on and we flat-spotted two brand new A008R on the back. We also had a dickens of a time finding the key in the two vehicle, so we could go retrieve the car out of the center lane of Interstate 5.

Kirk