PDA

View Full Version : Body Panels

twist
05-14-2002, 06:00 PM
I want to replace the nose on my rabbit, I have a complete donor car and was wondering if there is a way to take the fenders and front end body panels off as one unit. I did this years ago on another car. Any info is helpful, thanks.

Bill Miller
05-14-2002, 09:17 PM
You'll want to take the fenders and hood off before you cut the front clip off the donor car. Makes it easier.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

twist
05-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Just pulled the fenders off my spare/new car. What a pain in the ... not a tough job but would have been a simple one with out all the under coating and caulking, I spent my time alternately cursing and blessing the guy at the factory with the ambitious undercoating job. Thanks for keeping it rust free, and damn you for gunking it up, I had to literally unbury the inner fender bolts. So, any suggestions on cleaning the under coating off the uni-boby??? Thanks

Bill Miller
05-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that undercoating is a royal PITA. I've used a torch and burned it in the past, just so I could get to the bolts. At $50/each, aftermarket fenders are not looking like such a bad deal.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Joe Craven
05-19-2002, 12:02 PM
If you can find them. I crunched a fender last year on my 83 GTI and I couldn't find an aftermarket fender. I called and was told that they had been discontinued.

I bought a junk yard fender for $35, worked hard to remove it and it still got a little bent when I pulled it off and the gunk kept it glued to the car.

Joe

Bill Miller
05-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Joe,

Someone posted on VWVortex.com that they had a source for aftermarket A1 body panels. Fenders were $50 or so. Also, I believe JCWhitney has them as well.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Knestis
05-21-2002, 12:39 AM
Can't vouch for them personally but take a look at http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/ - about $40 before shipping for Rabbit fenders, if I was looking a the correct page.

Kirk

twist
05-24-2002, 09:36 PM
$39.95 I will give them a try. Thanks

Bildon
06-03-2002, 10:36 AM
You can also call Rapid Parts and ask for the real cheap Indian made fenders.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment