PDA

View Full Version : Air Fuel Ratio Gauge - Help!

GTI Cup
05-06-2002, 09:52 PM
There are 3 wires to hook up for the (Autometer) air/fuel ratio gauge that I'm trying to install in my car. I've connected 2 of the 3 so far, the live wire and the ground. I'm hoping to get a bit of advice regarding the 3rd wire, the one that gets the signal from the O2 sensor itself.

The instructions say to tap into the wire that goes between the O2 sensor and the brain box, but I'm not exactly sure where that is. I really don't want to splice in to the actual O2 sensor wire, as that runs near the header. Since the wire coming from the gauge isn't heat-shielded (and shorter than what I'd need it to be)...this won't
work. Is there a terminal somewhere where I can connect this wire to? If not, which wire would I splice in to, and where can it be found?

Oh, yes...the car in question is an 84 Rabbit GTI. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks!

------------------
Glenn
MARRS ITB #07 (http://www.geocities.com/gt1vr6/veedubs.html)

Campbell
05-07-2002, 10:50 AM
I hooked my air/fuel gauge to the wire coming off the oxy sensor, in fact I changed the oxy sensor at the same time and if I recall I had to splice the new oxy sensor wire into the old wire anyway. I think you have to splice into that wire for the gauge to work, there really aren't any "junctions" from the oxy sensor to the box. The gauge wire runs through the firewall to gauge and I put a splice in the line in the passenger compartment so I can quickly unhook the lead from inside the car if I want. The gauge works great with no issues. The length of the wire that came with your gauge should not be an issue when hooking your gauge up, just use it as a quick connect junction to the wire tapped into the oxy sensor wire. good luck

[This message has been edited by Campbell (edited May 07, 2002).]

GTI Cup
05-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Campbell...that worked perfectly for me!

------------------
Glenn
MARRS ITB #07 (http://www.geocities.com/gt1vr6/veedubs.html)