PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleeding

twist
05-09-2002, 02:22 AM
What is the sequence for bleeding brakes on a 1980 Rabbit. Was putting new shoes on the rear and luckily/unluckily found the cylinder was leaking.

Ryan Williams
05-09-2002, 11:32 AM
The sequence is RR, LR, RF, and LF. In theory, you always work from the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder. Good luck, Ryan Williams.

machschnell
05-09-2002, 11:46 AM
That's how I learned it too, but the instructions for using the Mityvac vacuum pump (which I will never use again) says to work from the wheel closest to the MC... not sure why...

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

racer14itc
05-09-2002, 11:58 AM
I usually ignore the "classic" sequence. To me it's more important to make sure that you get a full piston stroke when bleeding, which is what I mentioned to PJ. SO, when I bleed my brakes, I always open TWO circuits at the same time: one on the front circuit of the Master Cylinder, and one on the rear circuit. With my lovely wife pressing the brake pedal, I crack one, run around to the other one, crack it & close, run back close the first one. Then repeat. When I'm done with those two, I do the other two.

On a standard VW cross brake setup (one front and one rear on each Master Cylinder circuit), I would do the fronts together and then the rears together.

I didn't make this stuff up out of thin air, it's in Carroll Smith's books. It's also important when you have separate master cylinders (like on real racing cars) because you can't get a full piston stroke without bleeding the other master cylinder at the same time.

It works, doesn't it PJ? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Mark Coffin
#14 GP VW Scirocco

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited May 09, 2002).]

machschnell
05-09-2002, 12:16 PM
...like a charm

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

twist
05-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Thank You!! very much. I have not bled them yet just came in to check for info. Turned out both wheel cylinders where bad, glad I checked, ... and bought two while I was out. Now it is a question of the mighty vac or the wife??? Wish me luck I still have to pack and drive to Limerock. Doh!!!