PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Steering Lock

sparks_vw
05-02-2002, 01:20 AM
If I read the regs properly the steering column lock must be disabled. What or how is this done? Any way to do it without removing the steering wheel, etc.

Thanks!

Ryan Williams
05-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Yep, the steering lock must be disabled. Best advice is to use the Bentley VW service manual for your particular car. The procedure is to remove the mounting assembly for the Ignition/Steering Lock. Once the assembly is removed from the steering column, a hole is drilled, according to the dimensions in the particular Bentley, in the mounting assembly to release the lock cylinder. The procedure can be found in the Electrical System section of the Bentley. Regards, Ryan.

GTIspirit
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Easier said than done, especially since I couldn't find directions on how to do this in my Mk2 Bentley. I saw the trap door but what I didn't realize is the trap door can only be removed if the steering column/ignition lock collar/retainer is removed from the steering column. Then it's pretty easy........

(Prior thread on this subject, for reference.)
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14194&highlight=lock

jimbbski
12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I removed the lock assembly from the column. I then drilled a hole in the cast lock assembly by the locking bar. I then removed the small spring that I found inside the assembly, I then mixed up some epoxy and poured some inside, pushed the locking bar into the housing and let the epoxy harden.

Doing it this way I still have a functional ignition lock switch but the steering can never lock up.

Flyinglizard
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Pull the cyl out, than
Pry the keeper plate off of the back side of the lock, and tap the stop/lock pin out through the hole.
You can just beat it out,( pushing out the keeper plate) reverse of it's locking action.
I dont think that leaving it in there is a good idea,IMHO. MM

GTIspirit
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Pull the cyl out, than
Pry the keeper plate off of the back side of the lock, and tap the stop/lock pin out through the hole.
You can just beat it out,( pushing out the keeper plate) reverse of it's locking action.
I dont think that leaving it in there is a good idea,IMHO. MM

That's what I mistakenly assumed when trying to remove the steering column lock from my 1987 GTI. The keeper plate/trapdoor won't come off the back side of the lock without also removing the ignition switch. The ignition switch holds the steering column lock in place, physically can't come out without first removing the ignition switch. And easiest way to remove the ignition switch was to just pull the cast housing off the steering column, then everything comes apart really easy. If only I knew all this before mangling the trapdoor in an effort to remove it while still attached to the column.