PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System - Removing Air Bubbles

sparks_vw
05-01-2002, 12:34 AM
Can some one PLEASE tell me how to get all of the air bubbles out of my cooling system. I must have run the car over 1/2 hour with the cap off before air bubbles stopped coming out. There must be an easier way. If you just fill the over flow tank and put the cap on air gets trapped inside. The system appears to be full, but the engine will overheat until I go through the boil over routine. I think the manual says something about pulling off a hose somewhere by the thermostat to purge the system, but that seems like a pain also.

Thanks!

Ryan Williams
05-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Don't know what year your car is, but on the A1 VeeDubs, I remove the top radiator hose at the radiator and fill the block via the top hose until coolant starts overflowing. I then put the hose back on the radiator quickly. Tighten the hose clamp and fill the radiator to the specified full mark. Seems to work for me. Good luck, Ryan.

Bill Miller
05-01-2002, 08:22 AM
You can also drill a small hole or two in the thermostat.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

machschnell
05-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Or an aspirin wedged in b/t the 'door' on the thermostat. It'll dissolve when the temp goes up.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

racer_tim
05-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Who runs a thermostat? I use a large washer, with about a 3/4 opening in the middle.

One less part that if it fails, it usually fails SHUT, which means that you can cook your motor slowly.

my $0.02 worth

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

ChrisS
05-01-2002, 06:16 PM
I had this problem a few weeks ago, it ended up that the brand new thermostat was stuck closed- I learned from this, no thermostat for me!