PDA

View Full Version : Replacing/fabricating flexible fuel lines

machschnell
03-18-2002, 05:25 PM
In the process of replacing the rear beam susp. bushings, then the brake lines... I decided to replace the rusty/nasty looking fuel lines in my Rabbit, going from the fuel pump to the accumulator, and from the accumulator to the hard line that goes to the engine. Both of these are braided steel lines, about 2 feet in length. from the fuel pump is a banjo fitting, and to and from the accumulator is a screw-on fitting.

I priced out new ones - way too expensive. I have a call into BSI about some used ones, and they're working on getting some together.

My question is, would it be reasonable to make some lines using some of the braided material and fittings (aeroquip/earls) and make it work. My only concern is I've never done it before, and would there be fittings to fit a VW - or does that even matter?

Any idea on approximate cost? Just want to know what my options are.

Thanks,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

joeg
03-18-2002, 07:00 PM
If you make it out of the Teflon-lined Aeroquip (high-pressure), -6 or -8(?), it could get fairly expensive--at least $50 witth the fittings.

hoser 99
04-07-2002, 01:27 AM
Does anyone know if there are fittings available to convert banjo fittings to AN line? I've found some, but they are only for #3 or #4 line which is too small for fuel. thanx

racer14itc
04-07-2002, 09:57 AM
The webmaster (Bildon) carries these fittings. www.bildon.com (http://www.bildon.com)

BSI Racing also carries the Earl's fittings you need to convert the banjo fuel fittings to -6 AN.

(386) 677-5778

www.bsiracing.com (http://www.bsiracing.com)

Hope this helps,

Mark Coffin
#14 GP VW Scirocco

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited April 07, 2002).]

RatherB Racing
04-26-2002, 05:54 PM
We fabricated our own stainless steel fuel lines. It is not very difficult and it is not expensive, my partner is a distributer for the mterials that are needed. The same guy that BSI gets their line from is the one that we can get the line from for cost. We can fabricate what you need and ship it to you if you would like. We VW guys have to stick together! Just let me know what it is you need exactly and we can get it to you. Ours is working great without any problems. Email me at [email protected] and i will give you my phone number so we can talk over the phone.

Shane
91 GTI
83 GTI ITB

racer_tim
04-26-2002, 07:38 PM
All you need is some hose clamps, and some 5/16" rubber fuel line. That's all I did when I had the fuel cell installed, using the stock pump and return accumulator.

I then installed a Facet in-line pump between the cell and the stock pump, and wired it to a toggle switch on the dash, with the hot lead off of the old emergency switch.

The problem I had with pickup was that it was tucked in the left rear section of the cell, so on left handers, with 3/4's of a tank (8 gallon cell, with about 2 gallons used) it would starve. I replaced all of the foam from summit racing, (much cheaper than Fuel Safe) and made my own sump tank, along with a baffle'd windage tray, just like in the oil pan.

Next race that I'm going to do is the end of June @ Laguna Seca, so we'll know then if it works.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

machschnell
04-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks, I already purchased OEM replacement lines. I didn't think it would've been wise to use rubber fuel line in that location.

-PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB