PDA

View Full Version : 83 GTI problems

bdw73
04-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Just completed my first school at IRP, went great, car was great until the last session.
Developed a loss of power and a hesitation, when you open the throttle up hard, the car falls on its face than picks up and pulls normal, also encountered a sputtering on accelaration., went through and put new plugs, cap, rotor and wires, and problem still there, next is fuel system??? how do you check the pressure? never worked on this type of injection?

2nd problem, got a little too confident in the car and found its limit the hard way, dropped two wheels off and through me into a spin/slide acros the track and into the grass, came in and found the driver's side rear is now 1.5 positve camber, passenger rear is now 3 negative, what do I check to see what is bent?? or does it just need re adjusted??

Other than those two problems, these cars are a blast to drive and look foreward to my first race weekend next month at IRP

Barry

Bill Miller
04-22-2002, 07:30 AM
Barry,

I don't have an answer for the FI problem, but it sounds like you bent the rear beam. Short of using shims to get some camber out of it, there's really no adjustment back there. If the camber is as much as you say, shims probably won't help. Looks like you need a new rear axle.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

racer_tim
04-22-2002, 11:13 AM
Barry, change the Fuel Filter. Big chunks can cause this type of behavior.

Are you using a fuel cell or the stock tank?

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

bdw73
04-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was afraid the rear axle was bent, what do you look at to see if it is bent? or is it worth just trying to find one and replacing it??

I have the stock tank, it is fairly new, I was going to pick up a new filter and wires, I checked the coil and the spark looks pretty good, IRP is very bumpy so it could have gotten something in it

thanks again for your all's help, I am very new to this type of car, but up until those two problems it was great.

Barry

Bill Miller
04-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Barry,

It's not worth trying to straighten the axle, just get a new one. Any axle from a Rabbit, Scirocco (Mk I or Mk II), Mk I Jetta, or Cabriolet (up to '90) will work. Just don't try and put the 16v Scirocco one in!! (rear discs!) http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI