PDA

View Full Version : Radiator choice

MiniStocker
04-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what radiator would be best for racing. I plan on having a toggle switch to control the fan, But I was wondering what you guys are using. My rules state that I can have any radiator that doesn't interfere with the appearance of the body. (basically has to fit under the hood.) I have removed the lower crossmember that holds the radiator so I can either drop it lower or fit a taller radiator. I am trying to cool a 1.8L Bored to 83MM with 14.4:1 compression. Will be turning it right around 8100 (if my calculations are correct). What models do you look for? Diesel? I have an '85 golf.

Thanks guys...
Scott

itbgti
04-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Scott,

Give Shine Racing a call, they have a radiator that they use on some of their high end Porsche race cars that they have NEVER had a problem with cooling, also, it will not break the bank at less than $120 and it is not very large at all. bigger not always better. Good Luck!

Alan

Bill Miller
04-02-2002, 11:12 PM
I use the larger of the non-resivoir VW radiators. Works fine.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

mogren
04-04-2002, 12:14 AM
85-88 Golf with air rad cools 175hp. It is pretty long,fits the stock holes. Hoses are easy also. Irun this in all VW race cars in FL. Auto Zone ,about 80$ MM

MiniStocker
04-04-2002, 12:36 AM
Bill Miller, Would you have a model or year for your non-resevoir large radiator?

Mogren, I guess that radiator is the one I have. I just wasn't sure if it would be up to the task. I have an '85 Golf with 5 spd and air. (very stripped.) I have removed the radiator support and the inner wheel-wells and installed an engine hoop anchored to the cage and front frame rails.

Thanks for your help guys...
Scott